cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 41

Slow FTTH Speeds

I’m on full fibre 900 and only really achieving 400/500 tops even when connected with a PC directly into the ONT. I’ve tried raising it through support but not been very successful getting help with the issue.

I upgraded earlier in the year from another ftth service, although I don’t recall now which one or if i was getting full speed on that service.  But since upgrading I haven’t been able to get faster than 500, and sometimes its as low as 350.

I have my own router and in fact tried a few different ones with a range of different config types but hasn’t made any difference. In the sprit of openness a BT home technician came and tested the BT router and concluded it was reporting higher speeds and within the SLA. That was a bit frustrating because its not as demonstrated with my laptop connected directly to the ONT.

If anyone has ideas on something i could try or how i could better diagnose the problem?

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41

Re: Slow FTTH Speeds

Hi,

If you have tried all these tests

This may be your computer bottlenecking your download speeds, you should see about getting  ''usb 3 portable gigabit ethernet adaptor to see if speeds improve from their.

I have 2 computers 1 being slightly older and wont achive anything faster than 700 while my newer one goes from around 920-980

If this does not work i am sure someone else on here will help you out, hopefully you get full bandwidth soon enough.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 41

Have you tried setting up a PPPoE connection ruling out the router.

As quoted above your PC may not be up to the job, update the network drivers and see what is available to you.

Another thing that can help is reset your network settings on the PC, let it auto detect everything again.

What speed-test programs are you using, many variables in those I have noticed.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 41

https://fast.com/  is the recommended speed test for FTTP.

Message 5 of 41

Also getting very slow FTTP speeds, fast.com showing about 350-450Mbps Router and Switches are both 1Gbps, so usually get around 900Mbps.

PC Specs are fine, 5900X, 2.5Gbps LAN.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 41

@pippincp 

It's bizarre most people recommend https://fast.com/ yet it seems all over the place to me. 🤔

I pay for the 900/110 package yet this tester tells me I have 1Gb most times I test it.🤣

Ookla is giving me (what I would call) a more accurate reading but check them all, that's what they are there for.😂

speed test.jpg

FTTP 1st Test.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 41

Gonna add some speed tests too.

These are usually 900Mbps+ results

Speed_test_Cardiff.pngSpeed_test_fast.pngSpeed_test_newport.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 41

Okay so since I forgot that I needed to re-do my DNS server after the enw Mobo and Processor install, my issue was fixed by using CloudFlares DNS instead of BT's. Seeing results in the 880Mbps+ now.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 41

@h3x1e 

Also getting very slow FTTP speeds, fast.com showing about 350-450Mbps Router and Switches are both 1Gbps, so usually get around 900Mbps.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Probably not what you want to do but have you tried a complete "Network Reset" and let the computer auto configure the settings again.

That PC should whistle the 900/110 package.👍

EDIT: you posted when I was making this post. Good job. 😁

network reset.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 41

Glad you got your speeds back.

0 Ratings