cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Slow Speeds/Speed Check not Working

I have Full Fibre 500 with supposed minium download speeds of 425. 

My download speeds very rarely reach 200.

The speed check on the My BT app will not work; it hits 32% then fails, forcing me to click the troubleshoot button. Doing this never actually tells me if it's found a problem or what my speeds are. 

How do I solve this? I have no idea what speed the BT app says I'm getting and no idea if there's an issue.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slow Speeds/Speed Check not Working

Use fast.com.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

The speed quoted by BT is connection speed your router not actual download speed to your device the best speed is over ethernet cable and no guarantee over wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the reply. 

I was getting 400+ download speeds not long ago. 

I was wondering if there might be a link between the recent below 200 download speeds and the fact the speed check using the My BT app simply will not work any more, even after rebooting my router. It constantly says its unavailable or in error and simply prompts me to troubleshoot my issue, which solves nothing. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

You can do a speed check using Ookla or fast.com. These are more reliable than BT's speed check.
Ookla and fast.com can be used on devices connected via ethernet cable to the router, or by WiFi. However, BT only guarantee speeds for devices connected by ethernet cable.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@barryblamalow 

Don’t know whether it’s any consolation but there are a number of threads (including one started by me recently) appearing on this forum. Most of the responses, while trying to be helpful, are missing the point.

The speed from router to device can easily be verified by using other testers available on the net. That’s not in dispute. The issue we are facing is the failure of the ‘Test my speed’ module in the My BT app. Consequently, we are no longer able to verify the speeds from the local exchange/cabinet to our respective hubs/routers. BT provide a ‘Stay Fast Guarantee’ (SFG). The figure is usually less than the speed to your hub, the speed you have paid for and contracted to receive. If your SFG speed is breached over an extended period then there is a problem requiring action by BT. Currently we are being denied the means to check whether BT are complying with their contractural obligations to provide us with at least a minimum speed as defined by their SFG. 

The fact that the My BT app Developers are not rushing to fix this issue is now making me somewhat suspicious of their motives. Anyone else sharing this feeling?

Message 7 of 7

@chrisjp 

Yes, that’s true. However, not everyone can connect their computer using an Ethernet cable as their computer (assuming it’s a desktop computer)  may be sited a fair distance (as in my case) from the router. I’ve looked on Amazon and I see that I can purchase a USB C to Ethernet adapter cable. I’m assuming that this will allow me to hook up my iPad Pro (4th Gen) via Ethernet to my router. 

If this solution permits me to bypass the ‘Test my speed’ module in the My BT app then the Developers of said app would, effectively, be off the hook. Perhaps there is some technical barrier preventing their software engineers from resolving this issue. If that is the case then they should say so and we can all move on.

0 Ratings