Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puglord1973
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Slow Ultrafast Fibre broadband via Network Cable

Hi all,

Recently got the Ultrafast Fibre broadband and i dont seem to be able to get full speed on my PC via the network cable when compared to what i get via WiFi on my mobile.

On my mobile i get 205 Mbps download and 22 Mbps upload speeds which is great.

Originally my pc was connected to the router via a pair of TP-Link TL-PA411 PowerLine adapters where i was getting 68 Mbps download and 21 Mbps upload. I though the speed reduction was because these had a 10/100Mbps ethernet port and so was limiting the speed.

So i went out and brought some TP-Link TL-PA7010 PowerLine adapters with gigabit ethernet port which and now i get 102 Mbps download and 23Mbps uploadspeed.

I've checked my pc and i have Intel 82579V Gigabit Network connection which shows as being connected at 1000 Mbps.

The TP-Link utility shows the adapters connecting at 420 Mbps so i'm really struggling to find out why i'm not getting the full speed or anywhere near it......any thoughts before i take the adapters back and get a WiFi card for the PC?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slow Ultrafast Fibre broadband via Network Cable

Powerline adaptors are obviously dependent on your premises electrical cables to deliver the broadband signal. If your electrical cables are poor or there is interference on the electrical cables this will drastically affect performance.

Have you connected the hub directly to your PC using an Ethernet cable instead of using powerline adaptors to see what speeds you get?

0 Ratings
puglord1973
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Direct to the pc i get 207 Mbps down and 31 Mbps upload.

The TP-Link adaptors are 1000Mbps which i know is the theoretical maximum channel data transfer rate. What i dont understand is if the TP-Link Utility says the adapters are connected at 420 Mbps then why dont i get anywhere near it?

For referfence i tried the adapters on the same circuit as the router and they connect at 775 Mbps and i got a speedtest result of 205 Mbps down and 26 Mbps upload so a little miffed as to why i get a poor speed using them upstairs when the connection between them is 420 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

It is all down to your electrical wiring. 

The upstairs and down stairs will be on different ring mains which while allowing the adaptors to still work can cause speed loss. 

If possible you should run Ethernet cable to get the best speeds however in the real world I doubt without using a speed test you would notice any difference on your devices performance from what you are getting with the powerline adaptors..

0 Ratings