Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kippaxblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Slow Ultrafast speed

Go to solution

Yes is the answer to your first question and Broadbandspeed checker has just recorded 26mb for my wireless laptop only 2m away from the hub.  And connecting it to the hub with a cable was one of the first things I did and I get the same speeds as wireless, i.e. no better.  I think the new hub is the issue.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

Hello, are plugging in your ethernet cable into the BT Smart Hub or a different alternative hub? I recommend you also check that the ethernet cable is not faulty; maybe try a different cable. Please reply, thanks Smiley Happy

Community ModeratorJack
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
kippaxblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

Hello, I did all the right things, thanks.  I've now rung BT who ran some tests while the call was being made. They confirmed that while the speed from the cabinet to the new hub was correct, the hub to home network speed was poor. An engineer is coming tomorrow to fix it.  Cheerio.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution
Thats great. Hope the problem gets solved tomorrow for you. Thanks
Community ModeratorJack
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

@kippaxblue wrote:

Hello, I did all the right things, thanks.  I've now rung BT who ran some tests while the call was being made. They confirmed that while the speed from the cabinet to the new hub was correct, the hub to home network speed was poor. An engineer is coming tomorrow to fix it.  Cheerio.

If the problem is due to network congestion rather than a hub problem, the engineer won't be able to fix it.

0 Ratings
kippaxblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you.  As I suspected in my very first post, the BT engineer said that the principal fault lay with a faulty Ultrafast modem and BT are now sending me a new one.  His view was that the wireless card inside it had possibly been damaged in transit.  His own laptop showed the same miserable speed as mine.  His visit lasted 2 hours because (and I wish I could remember the technical term he used) he found 250,000 minor faults on the line from the cabinet which he then proceeded to clear.  Hopefully when the new hub arrives, we will have high speed broadband.

0 Ratings
sambarr
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Out of interest did you test the connecting using an ethernet cable? what speed did you get there?

In relation to connecting via Wifi in order for you to see decent speeds you would need to be connecting over an AC connection. Doing a speed test over Wifi really isn't a good test, since there are many factors that can determine the speed and strengh of the siginal.

1. Wireless protocol being used N/AC etc
2. How far away from router the laptop is.
3. The positioning of the router itself.
4. Does the signal pass through any walls etc.

0 Ratings
kippaxblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Hello, thanks for your message.  The third Outreach engineer's visit lasted at least another 2 hours and he was determined to sort the issue out.  Lots of phone calls to his office during the visit resulted in various tweaks down the line and speeds are defintely better now, although better on some devices than others. I'm generally happy with the improvements. 

0 Ratings