cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parksey26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Slow Upload Speed

All I would like is a bit of guidance on anything I can do or try in order to improve my upload speed.

I had it again with BT Chat. Some chap seemed really keen on helping, again saw an issue on the line, ended up giving me the good old "upload isn't guaranteed" and "depends on the server you're connecting to". What a load of tosh. I can't fathom why my DL is so exceptional for the line but my UL is pants.
0 Ratings
Parksey26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Talking to myself over here.

Could anybody suggest whether there is an issue or not? I feel like the upload is disproportionately slow but who am I to say?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

Looking at the checker your upload is very near the checker estimate figure there ould appear to be nothing that can be done I am afraid
0 Ratings
Parksey26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

It's a shame that upload speed isn't guaranteed because it does swing above and under that lower value quite often. Would there be any notable improvement moving to Infinity 2, would you happen to know?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

The only difference between Infinity 1 and 2 is if your line can go above 55mbps download and 10Mbps upload and you pay for Infinity 1 it would be capped to prevent it getting above those speeds where as if you were on Infinity 2 and your line could get above those speeds you would not be capped and you would get the speeds.

As your line does not even reach the top speeds for Infinity 1 you would find no difference by moving to Infinity 2, that is except in your wallet.

0 Ratings
Parksey26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

From experience, would another provider be able to offer me a better upload speed or be more willing to have Openreach look at the line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

They all, with the exception of Virgin use the same infrastructure  with your broadband coming along the same line so I think it would be fair to assume that you will get more or less the same results regardless which ISP you are with. 

As regards getting Openreach to do anything about it, I suspect you will be met with the same answer that if you are within your estimated connection speeds an engineer visit will not be arranged.

0 Ratings
Parksey26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Okay, well I'm getting 3.52 upload currently via BTW Performance Test with a 3.7 on the BTW ADSL Checker. Is there a mechanism in place to ask BT to send an Openreach engineer or will I need to call and persevere?BTW.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

When it come to speeds, it is your connection/line speed that is used not the upload speed, see link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

You are best to call BT and report a fault and tell them you want it investigated by an engineer.

Your upload is within the Range B estimate but having said that BT should be using the Range A estimate.

You line speed for upload is showing as 4.29Mbps in your hub's stats so you may have to base your argument on that figure and you will probably be met with the "we don't guarantee upload speed".

Keep us posted with how you get on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Parksey26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Hey gg30340,

Thanks - it's nice to at least feel like I'm being heard!

It's funny though because, on the BT website, it does say that my minimum assured download speed is 26Mb and, albeit only slightly, I'm not actually achieving this either!

BTDL.PNG

Time to join the queue on the phone.

0 Ratings