cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rdow
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Slow broadband and poor service. In need of advice.

Hi

This is the first time I have posted on a forum and so I hope I am using the correct forum etiquette.

Since connecting with BT I have never received great speeds. The highest I have recorded was 1.2MB download speed and this was early in the contract. Apparently I should have between 4 - 6MB. For nearly a year now I have recorded speeds of between 0.30 - 0.80MB download speed. Early on in the contract when I phoned BT to query the slow speed (of which most of the time I had trouble loading websites and have been unable to watch videos) it was explained to me that the slow speed was due to the distance of which I live from the exchange, and giving my internet password out to people (my family who visit occasionally!).

I refused to believe that other people in the area were suffering these slow speeds, and after speaking to neighbours I realised that this problem was not the usual case.

In a subsequent phone call to BT I spoke to a lady who was only interested in upgrading me to BT Infinity. I thought at the time that BT Infinity was not available in my area, though she insisted it was. A couple weeks later I phoned to upgrade and was told that BT infinity was not available in my area... I did get upgraded to a have a possible 32MB download speed instead of the original 16MB. This did not help but does cost me more.

I tried to live with the speed I had as I felt BT were not really concerned with helping with this issue. However, having to turn the router off and on constantly and not being able to load webpages became a nuisance. Also, my mobile phone bill was too expensive due to using my 3G data to use the internet. I decided to ask BT for help.

I managed to get through to a support line (for the first time after multiple phone calls - I didn't even know these guys existed!) they tested the line and agreed that there must be a fault. After they did... Stuff... I was told they would ring me back the same time the next day. This was not the case and I had to phone back a further 2 times in the following days to go through the same process. I was finally sent through an ADSL filter as this was likely the problem. This did not fix the problem.

The next step was to send an engineer. However, this may, or may not cost £129. The gentleman on the phone explained that any faulty wiring inside my property would incur this cost.

At this point I was rather stressed due to the amount of time I was spending on the phone trying to sort out a problem I have had since being with BT. I said I wanted to make a complaint. I was then put on hold and a few minutes later was told that they would reset my broadband line. I have no idea what this means but I was assured it would fix any problems I have been having. I can't believe it would take an extreme like making a complaint to receive what seems such a quick solution... If it had been a solution.

The last speed check was 0.38MB download speed 0.00 upload speed.

And so today
- I knew I would need an engineer but I am not willing to pay the £129 extra for a service I do not receive. So, I checked all the wiring (Like I said, I was told that all wiring on my property is my responsibility) As I was checking the ADSL to the socket, I found it a little awkward to remove. When I plugged it back into the socket it pushed all the way through. By this I mean the plug was deep inside the socket and you could only see the wire coming out the hole. Worried this may be a fire risk I unscrewed the face of the socket to remove the ADSL filter and then replaced it.

So, I phone BT to make them aware. I have just been told that u should not have touched BT property and that I will be charged and will need an engineer. I was spoken over through out the phone conversation. Good news is that I think I have found the fault!

I'm sorry for this huge rant but I really don't know where to go from here. I feel I am an annoyance to BT every time I ring!

I am paying for a service that is so poor I am having to spend money to use my phone data to use the internet!

Does anyone have any advice on where I can go from here. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow broadband and poor service. In need of advice.

if you have a hh5 can you go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection

are you connected to test socket with filter  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rdow
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your reply.

I cannot connect my router to the line as the phone socket is broken. It doesn't hold the telephone plug in place the way it should, it just pushes through into the wall.

This is why I unscrewed the face of the socket, so that I could remove the ADSL filter - I was worried it may be a fire hazard as it clearly didn't look right.

It looks as though the problem is the piece of plastic that sits underneath the telephone plug has fallen away and so nothing is there to hold the plug in place. I imagine the lack of contact between the plug and socket may be the reason of slow and intermittent broadband speed?

So I am unable to connect my router and perform any sort of test.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

I would look local and find phone engineer and get him to replace the socket.  they are often ex openreach engineers and will be cheaper than the £129.99 openreach will charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rdow
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Great, thanks. I didn't know I could go outside BT as I was told the socket is there property. But that is a grande idea. Thanks.
0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

***** **** what poor service from BT! This is nothing short of appalling service but Im not surprised.

It sounds like you're not even on fibre. If so, then the distance from your exchange to home will affect the max speed you'll get.

As has been suggested, Id get someone to come and check or replace your socket.

For best results, you need your modem \ router to be plugged into your main phone socket rather than an extension socket which can (but not always) causes problems.

At some time you'll have to bite the bullet and get a BT engineer out if your broadband speed is still very slow and be prepared to pay the fee. BT will ALWAYS try to make sure the fault is yours so you have to pay even if its a fault on their side (they tried to make me pay for an engineer's visit after my ADSL speed did increase as a result of changes he made).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@curiousfellow

OP says he upgraded to fibre if you read the initial post

0 Ratings
Cathprotech
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

I'm new to BT and so far I have had problems too.

Regarding your socket, don't think you would have a fire risk with telephone lines, the voltage is quite low and almost zero current, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Yes a local engineer could probably sort you out no problem, but you could always buy your own socket and fit it regardless of what BT say. Just a few pounds from Ebay, you could also get a socket with a built-in filter. There should only be 2 active wires comming in to the socket, there may be six in total, but just make a note of which wires are currently connected and where they are connected and just exchange the socket.

Just a side note, not sure if you have upgraded to fibre (you say an upgrade from 16m to 32m), but surely a BT/Openreach/Kellycommunications engineer came out to you then? They should have because they would normaly changed the socket and check the wiring anyway. Maybe you have some other type of upgrade!

Do you know how far you actually are from the local exchange?

Hope you get it sorted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

you don't normally get an engineer visit just because you upgrade to fibre.  most are now self install and engineer is only required to make the connections at the street cab

0 Ratings