cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukecranky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Slow broadband/no dial tone

Hi ive recently lost my speed from around 70mb to 40mb. I tried 2 routers and filters even got a new tpe faceplate with filter no difference. Anyway went to try the quiet line test and as i never used the phone ive just realised at some point i seem to of lost that as i get no dial tone or anything. the broadband still works but slow. This is the same in the test socket. 

I reported fault on the support section on website but thought id post here to see any suggestions anyone may have. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow broadband/no dial tone

Your line is working on 1 wire rather than the 2 it should be working on, 1 wire has become disconnected somewhere. Broadband will often work at reduced speed but the phone won't work at all. If the problem exists at the test socket then it will require an engineer visit to fix.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If you do not get dial tone, then you need to report it as no dial tone. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

lukecranky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi thx guys i found a broken wire. it had been joined at the window. i presume when there were changed. i replcaed the wire from there to socket and now have dial tone. My web is still 40mb. im assuming it may detect its now back on 2 lines and start to go up again. Does that sound right. I now have a dial tone and have just done the quiet line test which is now fine.

0 Ratings
lukecranky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

BBcheck.jpgrouterpage.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Yes, give DLM a chance to increase your speed.

0 Ratings
lukecranky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Ive seen a marginal improvement and speed test seem more stable. How long does it usually take before i see some real improvement? 

Regards Luke

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Days. Your connection time is only just over 24 hours.

0 Ratings
lukecranky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thank you
0 Ratings