Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Slow broadband speed

Hi guys

So, we have moved to the new house and broadband was activated on Thursday. However, I am only getting speeds of 7MB down and 4MB up even though I signed up for 50MB and was guaranteed 23MB as part of Stay Fast Guarantee. 

I appreciate it has only been 3 days since line was activated but I am not getting anywhere close to the speed I thought I was going to get. I should have asked the previous owners about the speed but they weren't too techy and probably too late now. 

I have tried speed tests using the hard wire and WiFi but same results.

I have tried the quiet line test by dialling 17070 and option 2. There is no noise in between announcements. 

I have also tried using the online "Raise a fault" and went through various steps including using the test socket but it just said telephone line is working but there maybe a fault with broadband and an engineer might need to come out. 

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:BT Hub 6A

Serial number:+084316+NQ91919245

Firmware version:SG4B1000E01E

Firmware updated:29-Aug-2019

Board version:1.0

Gui version:1.105.0

DSL uptime:1 Days, 0 Hours 25 Minutes 17 Seconds

Data rate:5.24 Mbps / 7.70 Mbps

Maximum data rate:5616 / 8960

Noise margin:6.6 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:28.2 dB

Signal attenuation:0 dB / 28.2 dB

VPI / VCI:0/38

Modulation:G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:Fast Path

Data sent / received:232 MB Uploaded / 1353 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Active

Annotation 2019-08-31 231045.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Slow broadband speed

Call it in and request an engineer as you are not getting minimum guaranteed speed.

0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi Pippincp

Thanks for the reply.

Should I wait for the 10 days suggested in the activation email to see if the speed goes up or should I just call now?

Also, when I went through the online fault diagnose, BT suggested the engineer visit might be charged. Surely, that doesn't apply in this instance.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 18

As it's a new install there would be no charge. They may make you wait or the 10 days but it won't improve by then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps speed.  when you connect to test socket then check that there is no dial tone at any extension socket just in case there is some internal wiring causing the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Hi @imjolly 

I tried it with the test socket again just now and 2 things:

1. Speed is still the same
  2. Also, there is a dial tone on the phone when I connect the micro filter to connect to the test socket. Is that expected?

I don't think there is any extension in the house other than the master socket. There are a couple of Atlantic sockets (one upstairs and one downstairs) but don't think they are getting used.

There is however an alarm system which was used by the previous owners and I "think" (or presume) it is connected to the phone line. We haven't subscribed to the alarm system, so not sure what would happen if I just cut the cable? I am just worried that it might start beeping and we don't have the codes or anything to disarm it. More importantly I am unsure if it could impact the speed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 18

As long as it's the phone connected to the filter then yes you should have a dial tone. If youhave a dial tone on any extention when connecting to the test socket then you have star wiring which is a killer for VDSL.

0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Hi @pippincp 

Is there a way to tell if the alarm is connected to an extension? If so, whether there is a dial tone?

I am just cautious that I don't want to call BT and they send an engineer out, only to find out it was something stupid like an alarm that slowed the speed. I then end up paying £100+ for BT call-out for previous owner's mistake.

I don't know what a star wiring is, did a Google online and that stuff is way beyond me. Again, is this something if a BT engineer was to come out, he will be able to identify and fix?

Apologies for so many questions, I just don't know enough about this stuff.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

If the speed is below what was guaranteed, you get a free visit, as its classed as an Early Life Failure.

See Early Life Failures - moderator post

Openreach will visit, they will sort out any issues, and fit a filtered socket, the alarm wiring will then connect to the filtered side.

It would best to leave it to them.

0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Thank you.

Could I arrange the engineer visit from this forum or do I have to call BT to do that?

0 Ratings