Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Slow broadband speed

you need to phone customer services 150

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

@amankahlon wrote:

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Thank you.

Could I arrange the engineer visit from this forum or do I have to call BT to do that?

Call BT and report slow speed and request a visit. They may mention about an £85 charge, but as this is a new installation, that should not apply.

If you would rather not do that, I can ask a moderator to help, but it could be a few days before they can deal.

If there are any problems, they can intervene.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

They should replace the master socket with one of these.

mk4 filter.jpg

This has a separate socket for phone and broadband.

Your alarm wiring would connect to the extension block, just under the cover. Its the blue bit on the left of this picture. Ignore the arrow, as that points to the test socket.

5c_3.-extension and test socketjpg.jpg

0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 18

I will call BT tomorrow since I am working from home and will let you know how I get on. If I need an intervention from the moderator,  I will post it here.

Thanks again for bearing with me and my questions.

0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Hi guys

Just wanted to give you an update. So I bit the bullet and cut the alarm cable which was connected to a different socket before I called BT to send the engineer out.

The alarm generated an error, I think it was looking for an active line and since I had cut that, it started beeping. I had to call the alarm company to disarm it, which they weren't happy about.

But lo and behold, I did a speedtest and I am now getting 28MB down and 8Mb up - which is fantastic. The alarm is not connected to a phone line anymore but the alarm company said apparently I can still use it, it just won't dial out - which is more helpful than the previous owners. 

So it is a win-win. I have decent broadband speed and a working alarm - albeit it doesn't dial out. 

Thank you all for your comments and replies. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

If its possible. connect a microfilter in the lead to the alarm unit, that will prevent it interfering with the broadband, and will also allow it to dial out.

0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Sorry I don't understand. I have already cut the cable from the alarm though? Plus the alarm company would allow me to call out until I start paying them a monthly subscription, so I am not sure it is even worth it.

Unless we decide to use the alarm company and when they come to set it up, I can get them to use the microfilter as you are suggesting.

0 Ratings
amankahlon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Guys I have another issue now 🙄 I just logged into my BT online account and it is showing me that I have booked an engineer appointment?! But when I click on "View fault status", it is showing me no faults. 

I think when I was doing speed tests with BT, it maybe identified the issue and booked the engineer. Is that even possible?

I have not received any comms from BT that an engineer appointment is booked.

Should I call BT or is there a way mods can see the appointment and cancel it for me?

0 Ratings