cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mac_71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Slow broadband speeds following line fault

Last week openreach engineers were laying additional cables, and managed to crush the existing ones, which affected all of the houses in my street. This resulted in a complete loss of broadband services, and extremely poor telephone call quality. Two days later openreach replaced the damaged cables, and telephone line quality was restored.  However broadband download speeds have decreased significantly since. Due to my location I only originally received 4mbps download speeds, however the speed is now 1.8mbps. I've spoken to BT on the telephone, and via chat (twice), and have been told that I can get faster speeds by upgrading to BT Infinity. I am currently on 'Unlimited Faster Broadband', which I thought was a FTTC product, so can't see how upgrading to Infinity will help? Around 3 months ago I replaced my homehub 5 with a TP-Link router, which improved the stability of the broadband service, and was consistently getting 4mbps speed. How can I get the speed restored? Could a cap have been applied as a result of the line fault?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Slow broadband speeds following line fault

You have been given incorrect information about upgrading to Infinity. If you are on Unlimited Faster Broadband you are already on FTTC. It is just not called Infinity because it is below 15Mbps which your line obviously can not support.

Because of the damaged cable, DLM (Dynamic Line Managment) may have reduced your speed inorder to try and maintain a stable connection.

Now that the cable has been repaired, DLM should slowly start to increase your speed back to where it was. This however can take up to a few weeks to happen.

If it doesn't increase after a few weeks you should contact BT and report a fault.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Mac_71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Hi, I am using a TP-Link router, rather than a home hub

DSL
Line Status:
Connected
DSL Modulation Type:
VDSL2
Annex Type:
Annex A/L
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 800 1999
Max Rate(kbps) 1089 7078
SNR Margin(dB) 10.8 14.8
Line Attenuation(dB) 102.3 33.7
Errors(pkts) 0 0

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 15

DLM hasn't relented yet but should do over the next couple of weeks.

Don't feel tempted to restart the router as it will take DLM longer to release.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line. Your sync speed is being held at the top of the lowest of BT's Banded Profile bands, altho' you now have no significant errors. Just leave it alone & let the DLM recover your line but it could be some time yet.

Message 7 of 15

Is there a way that the DLM can be overridden? if a line problem has been fixed by openreach why do you need to wait? only having 4mbps is bad enough, but now the line has been capped to 1.8mbps the service is barely usable, especially as my laptop has now decided to start downloading windows updates!

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

It's banded up to 2 Meg sync at the mo'.

How would DLM know the state of your line after the mess was fixed?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

DLM is an automated process. It can only be reset by an engineer after he/she has fixed a fault on your line. As you did not have a specific fault on your individual line, Openreach would have not have carried out a DLM reset.

You could try reporting the issue to BT to see if they can get a reset carried out but it is unlikely Openreach will do this until DLM has had a chance to do its job... and failed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mac_71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Have just spoken to two BT people on BT chat requesting that a DLM reset is carried out on my line. They contacted openreach who have refused to do this. My frustration is that Openreach contractors damaged the cable to mine, and neighbouring properties, however as my broadband was only guaranteed to received 1.4 Mbps download speeds then the speed I am getting is better than what I signed up for, so there's nothing wrong with it! I need the speed restored as quicky as possible as I am now not able to work from home. i'm out of contract with BT, so would changing providers help, or would I still have a DLM issue?

0 Ratings