cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Slow broadband

Hello,

I've been referred here instead of calling about slow speeds. For at least a week now I have been getting speeds of 8mb or less on my 50mb fibre, through both wireless and wired. With two home workers and home schooling we are struggling. Is there any solution or help please? Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Slow broadband

Post hub stats. If hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

check for line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded 

enter phone number and post results remember delete number.    https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for responding. I don't have a home phone to test the line. Here is my technical information, followed by the broadband checker (I note data rate is 10 Mbps, however I have checked myBT and I am on fibre 1, 50 mbps - could this be the problem?)

Edit: image saved of broadbandchecker screenshot for ease: https://imgur.com/wDbaE1e

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ91557043

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

20-Mar-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 15 Hours 7 Minutes 43 Seconds

Data rate:

10.00 Mbps / 10.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

33337 / 50650

Noise margin:

22.1 dB / 31.2 dB

Line attenuation:

24.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

15.6 dB / 24.8 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

267 MB Uploaded / 4 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-G7FQ

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-G7FQ

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

80:20:DA:B8:38:E9

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Telephone Number **** on Exchange SWINDON is served by Cabinet 157
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

G.fast Range A (Clean) 

G.fast Range B (Impacted) 

8064.5201959.1AvailableAvailable--
8061.4201955.2AvailableAvailable--
266.7193.140.618.7168.3AmberAmber--
222.4159.328.113.8144.6AmberAmber--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 6.5--5.5 to 7.5AvailableAvailable--
Up to 3.5--2.5 to 6.5AvailableAvailable--
1----AvailableAvailable--
1----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-04-26
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL MulticastG.fast Multicast
Available
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
07-04-2020

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

This is most likely being caused by a noisy phone line, you will need to check usin a phone.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Thanks for your response. I have managed to source (via social distancing) a phone and have a dial tone before dialling and a silent line to the quiet line test. It is however a wireless phone, but presumably that would create noise as apposed to having a quiet line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

There may be a very slight background white noise on a wireless phone, but it should be barely audible.

If its quite noticeable, then that would tend to indicate a problem with your line.

Your connection speed has been reduced, because of this fault.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Sorry, what is the fault? I have a silent line when i call the quiet test line (no noise). Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

your connection time is only 15hrs is that due to a manual reset or hub dropping connection?  Have you noticed hub dropping connection often or have you been trying resets to get speed back or maybe a combination of both

have you tried using the test socket with a filter especially if you have extension sockets elsewhere in your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

It was a manual reset to see if that solved the problem. I was noticing frequent drop out's about a week ago. It's not happened since but I think that's when the speed issues began. I'm plugged in to the master socket. I'm afraid i'm not totally sure what you mean by a test socket and filter. I have tried removing the cover and plugging straight in to the socket which had no impact. Thanks for your help so far. Do you have any suggestions how to fix the issue?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

which master socket do you have  https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/home-networks/a-wired-home-network/what-type-of-mas...

0 Ratings