Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fujor
Contributor
Message 1 of 37

Slow download speeds and occasional drop outs

Go to solution

Hi

I've recently moved house and I appreciate that the line can be off for the first couple of weeks while the line is being tested however the down speeds im getting 2 weeks after moving are poor, ranging from 3mbps to 0.2 mbps on the 2.4ghz. 5ghz fairs better but still off by quite a margin.

Im using the same router from previous property, if memory serves me correct its a home hub 5

Can I get some help on this issue please?

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Slow download speeds and occasional drop outs

Go to solution

Can you post hub stats. If hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk 

any line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best done with corded phone

enter phone number and post results  remember delete number. 

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Wifi is subject to interference from within your home and nearby beighbours. Is download ok with Ethernet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Fujor
Contributor
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution

Hub stats

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ55014022
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 (Type A) Last updated 25/02/19
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:12:05
6. Data rate:9998 / 39950
7. Maximum data rate:10625 / 64053
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 16.5
9. Line attenuation:29.4 / 21.7
10. Signal attenuation:28.8 / 20.1
11. Data sent/received:35.3 MB / 50.2 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-C25N
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-C25N-5GHz
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:84:a4:23:0f:bf:02
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

Screenshot_2019-11-02-03-06-21.png

Everything fine with the quiet line test

Just reset the router and have speed test over 2.4ghz and 5ghz results were 4mbps and 37mbps  respectively. Surely an issue with the router?

0 Ratings
Fujor
Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

Just further to the initial comment. Speed tests looking a lot better now, some areas in my house may be dead spots but are better now than last night.

This problem seems to happen at 8ish every night, could it be that BT are testing the line then? Is there any way of checking?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

openreach won't be testing the line more like possible congestion with others using the internet or possibly a backup running in your home.  have you checked to see if download speed is ok over ethernet as that will eliminate congestion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Fujor
Contributor
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution

Hi sorry it took so long to get back to you.

The internet speed issue is likely to be distance from the router although speeds are sporadic throughout the day and throughout the house there is definitely a deadspot.

However the router is still losing connection and going to a flashing amber light several times a day. Unless there's a problem in the area, which is not being reported I can only go back to the problem with the router. I can't check direct through ethernet ethernet yet and to be honest due to the intermittent nature of it it would be difficult to test it.

Last time I moved I received a new router. Not saying that's the issue but as moving extended my contract should I not be eligible for new hardware? The home hub 5 is 6 and a half years old and surely i should be receiving something that actually suits my needs as the current router is lacking

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

there is no longer an upgrade/new hub provided when you renew your contract - these days have long gone.  You can when negotiating your new contract as for a new hub as part of your deal and will probably need to pay postage of £9.99.  unless the HH5 is faulty then it should work fine  and many customers still use it

can you post current router stats please

can you check which package you are on by going to MYBT   which package should you be on  essential/superfast 1 or 2

0 Ratings
Fujor
Contributor
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution
Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ55014022
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 (Type A) Last updated 25/02/19
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:18:31
6. Data rate:9997 / 39950
7. Maximum data rate:10730 / 64363
8. Noise margin:6.3 / 16.6
9. Line attenuation:29.4 / 21.8
10. Signal attenuation:28.8 / 20.3
11. Data sent/received:3.7 MB / 138.7 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-C25N
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-C25N-5GHz
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:84:a4:23:0f:bf:02
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
Fujor
Contributor
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

The package I have is super fast 2 although I'm not sure where I now live is capable of making use of the faster speeds in that particular package.

I'm still getting a lot of internet outages. We're usually just streaming to one TV in the same room as router and maybe one person on a phone doing simple internet browsing when the router goes down.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

you currently have almost 40/10mb connection according to your stats.  all speeds quoted by BT and the dslchecker are connection speeds not download speeds

have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to see if that helps stability.  when in test socket check that there is no dial tone at any extension socket to ensure that is not causing you instability

0 Ratings