cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
fixmyinternet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Slow download speeds and sporadic packet loss in the evenings.

Go to solution

Hello,

I am currently on the Infinity 1 unlimited package advertised at 52mb/download and 10/mb upload. During the day and early mornings I get around 45mb download and 10mb upload which is completely fine however when it get to between the hours of 7pm-11pm my download speed decreases drastically to as low as 6mb/s download whilst my upload usually remains between 8mb/s. I'm also experiencing sporadic packet loss between 0-10% during these hours which is only really noticable whilst gaming but has a huge effect on them.

Normal speed test:

Speed test within the noted timeframe:

Bt Wholesale speedtest:

All speed tests were perfomed on the same day with a brand new Homehub6 plugged directly into the master socket via Ethernet. After multiple times getting on contact with the support team all i'm getting is sent round in circles and them wanting to send out an engineer however I do not want an engineer being sent out as I believe it will be a waste of time, I am having the exact same issues as the post made here and the engineer sent out to his home was of no help, I have also experienced a similar issue to this before and never had an engineer sent out to look at it, the problem was fixed by something BT did at the exchange which can be found here. I am on the Chapel-en-le-Frith exchange and it is only half a mile away from my house. Hope someone can be of assistance.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Slow download speeds and sporadic packet loss in the evenings.

Go to solution
can you please post the further diagnostic part of the speedtest using a wired connection as that result is stored on BT Wholesales servers
0 Ratings
fixmyinternet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Is this enough?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
It looks like a congestion problem there is nothing BT Consumer or Openreach can do with this problem it is down to BT Wholesale to increase network capacity they will be aware and working on a fix it does however take time depending on what work is needed
0 Ratings
fixmyinternet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Is it possible for a mod on here to get in contact directly with them about it?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @fixmyinternet,

I'll be able to take a look at your connection and check for any congestion issues at your exchange. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
fixmyinternet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Sent it all, thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @fixmyinternet,

I picked up your email, thanks for sending over the details. I tried calling, sorry I missed you. I've checked this with wholesale and they've confirmed that there is a congestion issue at your exchange, Buxton, which requires further infrastructure. That work is scheduled for the 30/03.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
fixmyinternet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for getting that cleared up for me David, i'll hold out until then and post back afterwards if the problems haven't cleared up.

0 Ratings
fixmyinternet
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Is there anyway to eliminate the packet loss though? I can deal with the slow download speed but the packet loss is just making online gaming unplayable. Can I not be placed onto a different cabinet in the exchange instead of cabinet 4?

0 Ratings