Did you mean: 
Highlighted
adam45417
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Slow download speeds during evenings

Go to solution

Hi,

So this problem has been consistent for the past couple of weeks. I constantly get slower download speeds during the evenings and at night anything after 7-8pm really speeds lower than 10Mbps at times. I used to get >70Mbps all the time which was great as I am paying for BT Infinity 2.  

I contacted BT and they sent out an engineer which did find a problem with wiring and fixed that. But the problem still persists. I have been on to BT Live chat several times since and they did say there was a Network Fault on the line:

"I can see that there is a Network Fault on the line, hence I have went ahead and raised the case to our Level 2 team and they will go ahead and investigate the case for you and will call you tomorrow between 14:00 and 16:00 with the latest update on the fault and hopefully we will get it fixed for you. I have also opened the complaint and passed it to our Level 2 team to deal with."

I have also noticed that my IP Profile has changed to 68.57 Mbps, I am nearly 100% sure it used to be >75 as this is the download speeds I used to get.  

I'd like to get this looked into further and sorted out so I thought I'd post it here as I see that the mods can be very helpful with these problems.

Here are my current speeds which are still slower than I used to get. 

Thanks in advance. 

Speed test 3pm.JPG

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Slow download speeds during evenings

Go to solution

can you post stats from your router  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

enter your phone number and post results  delete number but leave exchange and cab

btspeedtester has been giving incorrect results recently try speedtest.net  must be done with ethernet conenction not wireless

post tests when speed good and when you think it is poor

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
adam45417
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply!

Details required are below. Exchange is Kilkeel and Cabinet 5 

My current Download and Upload are : Dl - 21.33 Mbps Ul - 17.03

Earlier I was getting ~ 60Mbps

Also all tests are done on a computer connected via ethernet. 

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068340+NQ33319250
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.32.1.3 (Type A) Last updated 10/09/18
4. Board version:BT Hub 4A
5. WAN:PPP Connected
6. Data sent/received:1.8 GB / 48.4 GB
7. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8. BT Wi-fi:No
9. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-6P2C
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
13. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-6P2C_5GHZ
14. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
15. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
16. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. Firewall:Default
18. MAC Address:cc:33:bb:d3:f2:04
19. Software variant:-
20. Boot loader:-

BT Exchange Details.JPG

0 Ratings
adam45417
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@8pm and down to 12.13Mbps Download speeds. 

0 Ratings
adam45417
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

@imjolly 

@8:40am Download is 62.41Mbps 

0 Ratings
adam45417
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hi, can I get some help with this please? An engineer has been out multiple times and assured me that there is no problems with there side and wants me to troubleshoot it inside the house as he thinks it is something interfering with the connection. 

He has tested the connection coming into the house multiple times and it is coming in at 73Mbps. This morning I got >70Mbps but it is still bad in the evenings and never consistant.  I'm getting 39.06-60Mbps at the moment when doing speed tests I am the only one on the network as I have turned off the Wifi on the hub. I feel like the speeds will get worse later on and drop to <20Mbps again. 

Is it too much to ask just to go back to getting 75Mbps Download constant..  

0 Ratings
adam45417
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Alright so now speeds are as low as 15Mbps.. I would love some suggestions on what to do lol

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Unfortunately as you are using an openreach modem all the main stats - speed and nois margin and attainable speed are all held by modem and unless unlocked are not accessible 

can you post btspeedtester results from diagnostic test using Ethernet   http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

can you post full result rather than an abbreviated version

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
adam45417
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for quick response, 

Speed Test 19.09.18.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution
I have asked mods to check your exchange and cab for possible congestion

0 Ratings