Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strawman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Slow evening Broadband Speed on Infinity 1

Go to solution
I was hoping that someone could give me a sanity check on the download speed issue I am having on my BT Infinity 1 broadband. This has been ongoing since the Christmas period. I first noticed that during the evening that I couldn’t get catch up TV, You Tube or the like. I went round checking cables, filters etc. as you do but the problem seemed to persist. I then started to look at my BB speeds. Normally I get between 25 and 26Mb/s but I noticed that in the evening after about 7.00 until 11.00 my speed is reduced to less than 10 Mb/s and sometimes as low as 5Mb/s. This pattern changed slightly on Sundays when the speed drops mid afternoon ‘til late evening. BT are contracted to deliver me a minimum of 22Mb/s. Over the past week I have made meticulous tests using the BT Wholesale BB tester and by way of comparison I have repeated the tests with Ookla. They are always very similar. The advantage of Ookla is it logs your results. I have read posts from people on this forum who have had very similar issues to me and quite often it has turned out to be a congestion problem. The timing to me certainly suggests it’s a busy time loading issue? Armed with this information I embarked on the complaints journey via our friends on the sub continent. They went through their ‘scripted’ diagnosis procedure and it eventually got escalated to their ‘Teir2’ team. They decided that I should receive a visit from ‘Openreach’ and this was scheduled for between 8.00am and 1.00pm last Monday. When I pointed out that this was unlikely to result in the fault being diagnosed as the pattern clearly shows it is an evening phenomenon, they insisted. At least, I thought’, I would get to speak to someone in person. The ‘Openreach’ engineer promptly arrived at 8.15 am. Asked if he had been familiarised with the problem he said not. So I explained, showed him my three A4 pages of results and he set to testing the line. He confirmed that my home LAN set up was fine and that the way I was running the speed tests was fine. His tests out to the fiber cabinet were healthy also. He checked with someone back at ‘Openreach ‘HQ and they confirmed that no other incidents had been reported. After a good hour and a half he said that he had exhausted his diagnostics but agreed with me that if someone was sent again, it should be in the evening. That very evening the speed fell again as it did last night. I have a scheduled call back from the BT ‘Teir2’ team on Friday and, after I report that there has been no improvement, I won’t know what to do. That’s why I have come to the forum in the hope that someone will confirm I am not going insane and that maybe a kind Moderator can pick this up on BT’s behalf? I am on Woodhall Spa exchange in Lincolnshire. I am less than half a mile from the fiber cabinet and less than a mile from the exchange. Any ideas please??
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Slow evening Broadband Speed on Infinity 1

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Please can you please provide BT Wholesale speed test results for different times of the day, including the further diagnostics page? The last test needs to be done at peak times so the results are stored on the BT server.

These must be done using a computer connected to the home hub, using an Ethernet cable.

Once this has been done, a moderator can be asked to assist.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @Strawman,

I've checked the Woodhall Spa VLAN's and both are showing as operating within thresholds IE no congestion reported. That's not to say that there isn't an issue developing or unreported so far. Can you carry out @Keith_Beddoe's instructions so we can try and get to the bottom of the problem?

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Strawman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the speedy response. Her is a list of readings taken throughout today 25/1 on the BTW speed checker.

9.00 AM       25.59 D/L       6.89 U/L

11.00 AM     27.72 D/L       6.91 U/L

15.00 PM     25.52 D/L

0 Ratings
Strawman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Sorry Keith Got cut off mid stream?

Today 25/1

9.00          25.59 d/l      6.89 u/l

11.00        27.72 d/l      6.91 u/l

15.00        25.52 d/l      6.95 u/l

19.00        25.85 d/l      6.95 u/l

19.15        19.36 d/l      6.93 u/l

19.30        10.85 d/l      6.95 u/l

19 50        6.64   d/l      6.92 u/l         Sent these via 'further diagnostics' for logging. Best effort test.

Previously on 23rd Monday I logged 2 best effort readings.  At 19.00   15.58 d/l and 7.01 u/l

0 Ratings
Strawman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Cut me off again.

second reading on Monday 23rd best effort.  20.00  7.61 d/l   6.94  u/l

0 Ratings
Strawman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Just done another test at 20.09.

Best effort 3.17 d/l    6.94   u/l

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Don't do any more tests. The last one you did will be stored on the server and you don't want it overwritten.

Wait for the mods to get back now.

0 Ratings
Strawman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution
Had no response from anyone other than India. They said that my problem should have been fixed in a phone call to me at 6.30 this evening. Told the guy it was probably too early as it normally manifests after 7.00pm. Low and behold now getting download speeds of less than 10Mb/s. This is after solid 27Mb/s all day every day. I'm truly peed off with this as you can imagine. I have spent the last week or so in front of my PC taking speed measurements. My contract is up next month so I will be moving on!! Sent another set of Best effort results to the server just now. D/L 7.67 U/L 6.89. Don't suppose it will make any difference. The professionalism of BT is an absolute disgrace!!
0 Ratings
Strawman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Slow evening Broadband Speed on Infinity 1

Go to solution

HI there, I submitted a post relating to this fault a few weeks ago but as yet there has been no resolution. I am being bumped from pillar to post by India, who try as they may, don't seem to know what they are doing. I first noticed a slow broadband issue over the Christmas period. I Player, Amazon Prime TV etc. didn't play very well. I did some speed tests and found that in the evening, without fail, between 7.30 and 9.30 my BB speed drops from a good 29Mb/s during the day to less than 6Mb/s in the evening. Last night I hit an all time low of 2Mb/s. Since the period from Christmas when I first reported the fault, Openreach have been to my house and conducted the usual tests, day time of course. No fault found. The engineer gave a big thumbs up to my home LAN set up. So nothing wrong my end. I continued to take line speed measurements and consistantly get the same profile. Very good daytime and early evening until that busy time slot when it falls right away. I have always used the BT Wholesale speed checker and posted many results back to the server. As a sanity check I have used Ookla and the test results are comparative and it records my results! A week ago today, still unhappy with the situation, I re contacted BT India. Same old rigmarole. It’s like starting from fresh each time you get through. They don't appear to keep any records? They wanted to send Open Reach out again. When I told them that it would be a waste of time if he came during the day, it became a 'take it or leave it'. The engineer was booked to attend last Tuesday, but on Sunday I received a text which reads:- ‘Hello, BT here. We’ve spotted a fault in our broadband network. We don’t need to access to your home and have cancelled the engineer appointment. We should have the problem fixed by 07.02.17. When it is fixed please restart your Home Hub and check you can connect normally. Thanks’ They followed this up will a phone call and told me I could track the fault on BT’s Web site. This I have done and as of today it shows it as ‘In progress’ but nothing to suggest when it would be resolved. The little diagram on the fault page shows the area away from my local exchange in red, implying a fault in the wider network??? Today I put another call into India. They are supposed to be looking into it and reporting back tomorrow! I don’t hold out much hope. ************ is the number assigned to this fault. Does this mean anything to anyone? How else can I expedite this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings