Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbrodie
Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Slow fibre broadband in the evenings

Go to solution

Hi,

New to these forums so please excuse any inadvertent etiquette bloopers.

I took BT up on their offer of a free upgrade to fibre broadband. It went live on 1st Feb - two weeks ago.

The download speeds have been fine - a guaranteed 50Mb - throughout the day. The issue from Day 1 has been a significant drop from about 6.00pm onwards, usually below 10Mb. Strangely, the guaranteed upload speed has been rock solid at all times - 9 to 10 Mb.

I have had numerous phone conversations with call centres in the UK, Ireland and India and, despite many unfulfilled promises and guarantees, they acknowledged “ a fault”. This complaint was then “resolved” and closed, unfortunately with no improvement to the service. More phone calls resulted in nothing other than misinformation and more unfulfilled promises of supervisors and managers calling me back. It took a call to the Consumer Retention Value Team and a threat of moving my business to another provider for something to be actually carried out however I am highly sceptical that the resolution will be a total fix. I received a text this morning from BT saying that engineers have , “checked the fault and found engineer has cleared the fault and could not find any problem in the BT network.” I presume that the text was sent by someone in a BT call centre from overseas and who perhaps doesn’t use English as a first language as the ‘fault’ appears to be both real and non-existent.

Having read a number of similar threads to this, my issue appears to be fairly widespread across the BT network and may be to do with congestion at the exchange. This however doesn’t seem to be something BT even considered and checked. They have basically done the, “it’s not us, it’s you” move and passed the buck back to me.

Today is the first day past my ‘cooling off’ period but the CRV team have given me another three days to decide whether or not I cancel my contract based on the numerous times I’ve been in contact over the initial 14 day period. I do not want to get tied in to an 18 month contract of rubbish download speeds every evening so, before I leave (or not), ...

* can any of the Forum Mods help with the speed issue (and helping me identify which exchange and cabinet I’m on as I presume that will be helpful information)

* does anyone know if leaving for another provider will be just jumping from one frying pan to another?

Many thanks in adavance for any help and/or advice.

Scott

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Slow fibre broadband in the evenings

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Please make sure you include the name of the exchange, when you post the details.

Its probably congestion, which will be dealt with by BT Wholesale. BT Retail do not guarantee download speed, only line speed.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution

More help.

Testing for congestion during peak times.

Please can you provide BT Wholesale performance tester  results for different times of the day, including the further diagnostics page.
The last test needs to be done at peak times so the results are stored on the BT server.

Do not do any more tests after that last test, otherwise the results will be lost.

Do not restart the home hub, even though the test page tells you to, as it can affect your connection speed.

These tests  must be done using a computer connected to the home hub, using an Ethernet cable.
Tests taken using a wireless connection, are not accepted, as wireless is subject to interference,

Post the results on the forum, and also include the name of the exchange you are connected to.

You can find which exchange you are connected to, by entering your phone number into this form Broadband availability checker
do not post your phone number on the forum, only the name of your exchange.

Here is how to post images Uploading images to the forum

BT Wholesale are normally aware of congestion problems, but uploading that final slow speed result, will help.
Also, the BT forum moderators will be able to advise them as well.

0 Ratings
sbrodie
Contributor
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks. I hope that this is what you're looking for.

BT 1.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

The name of the exchange is missing, also, please read my last post.

0 Ratings
sbrodie
Contributor
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

Apologies. Too quick with the cropping.

The exchange is Blairgowrie and it’s Cabinet 7.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

Can you please run the BT Wholesale Performance test as requested, when the download speed is low, so the results are uploaded to the server. Thanks.

0 Ratings
sbrodie
Contributor
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

Can do.

This will obviously have to be in the evening. Do you need just one “good” result and one “poor” over a single day?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

@sbrodie wrote:

Can do.

This will obviously have to be in the evening. Do you need just one “good” result and one “poor” over a single day?

That will be fine, the main thing is that the last result is the slow one, as only the last result is retained on the server.

I have also asked a moderator to see if they can see any reported congestion on that exchange.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

Hi @sbrodie,

I've checked our suppliers recent report and I can see no issues with Blairgowrie. However; there are issues with Coupar Angus. As they're close there's a chance that your connection is virtually routed from it. I'm sending you a private message that will tell you how you can contact one of my team for support.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings