Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwilkinson386
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Slow internet after holiday

Go to solution

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice. My internet has dropped from 60Mb plus to around 3Mb after coming back from holiday where the router was switched off. I’ve been in touch with BT to try and sort the issue but their support has not been very good at all.  I’ve been reading through posts and believe the screenshots below may help. The last reset of my router was 2 days ago after being asked to by BT.

Paying for fibre getting dial up! I’ve even resorted to tethering off my mobile for speed!

Any ideas please? Thanks.

B2141CCE-4CE4-49F3-BA0B-A85A179237CA.png6594BDB8-26F9-44CB-891C-32098EC53F3B.png

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Slow internet after holiday

Go to solution

Could you post the connection stats from the hub.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log/information.

0 Ratings
mwilkinson386
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply pippincp , below are the screen shots. 2 days ago BT said that my router seems faulty and asked me to put my old one in. When I did this the speed increased for a very short time and then dropped again. I put my current router back in then.1D19A5A5-5B75-45FB-9391-33E5F6B80E76.pngF868841B-5D8B-432C-A44B-8F41B311839C.png

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

If you switched your Router off before you went away then the DLM at the DSLAM would’ve assumed there was a fault because it wasn’t syncing with that DSL Modem. 

It’s designed to keep lowering your sync rate until it gets a stable connection, which it won’t because your Routers turned off.

You’ll just need to leave your Router switched on and stop resetting it and let the DLM do its thing and it’ll restore your speed when it sees it’s got a stable connection again.

0 Ratings
mwilkinson386
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

So the router has been on for 8 days now and it is still very slow. It looks like it did reset a few days ago around 4am but the speed has only changed from 3.799 to 3.8. Is there anything I can do as it is very frustrating? Thanks for your support.25631B1D-01E4-4FD1-98AF-35BCB6F593D8.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

just need to do as @Starwire said and leave connected  your connection time is only 4 days according to stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

I'm not convinced, as far as I'm aware DLM reacts to multiple disconnections over a short period of time , not one  continuous long disconnection. As your speed is below the handback threshold, I would report the fault and get an engineer visit.

Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @mwilkinson386 welcome to the Community.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your connection.  I tend to agree with @licquorice ,I don't think this is a case of DLM kicking in.  We will need to raise a fault and take a look into this for you.

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

pompey1898
Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

I'm not convinced, as far as I'm aware DLM reacts to multiple disconnections over a short period of time , not one  continuous long disconnection. As your speed is below the handback threshold, I would report the fault and get an engineer visit.

Hi @licquorice ,

I have always turned my routers off when I go on holidays ( normally 2 weeks ) and have never had a significant speed drop on return.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@mwilkinson386 Just realised nobody has asked you if your phone is working? Are you getting dial tone ok on the line? Your symptoms look very much like one wire has become disconnected, broadband will work very slowly but the phone will be dead.

0 Ratings