cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Slow internet, but Fast speedtest

Go to solution

Hi

I am a new customer amd  have fiber 2 broadband with smart hub 2 router. I have slow internet with real download speed between 1 to 8 MBs. However, when I run the speedtest, I get results of 63 MBs download which is actually not there while browsing or downloading. This happens from 2 or three different devices using wifi 5 Ghz  and ethernet cable and all are the same.

The engineer came and checked for any faults but there was nothing faulty. He also changed the master socet which also didn't work. He thinks that as long as tge speedtest is fine, so I receive that speed and everything is fine.

I read about some firewall filtering settings in the router but have no idea how to do it. I asked the customer service to do it but they told me they can't do it from there.

Does anyone have a clue for that? Please let me know in steps how to sort it out.

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Slow internet, but Fast speedtest

Go to solution

Is it possible you are comparing  speeds on Megabytes and megabits ?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks alot for your reply. I think this might be a good explanation. Even though, three customer service advisors and an indoor engineer have not pointed at.
So, if this is the case how much downloading speed in Megabytes do I expect out of these 63 Mbps?
Again thank you very much.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @mohammedabolhasan  there are 8.192 megabits per second (mbps) in 1 megabyte per second (MB/s). So the theoretical maximum download speed would be 7.875MB/s on a 63mbps connection.

The download speed of a file is something BT do not have total control over, we can only provide you with a guaranteed sync speed and not download speed of a file as there are factors outside of our control, such as the server speed that you're downloading the file from.

Thanks 
Neil

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
That's fair enough
Thank you very much
0 Ratings