cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Slow internet speed

Go to solution

Hi ,

for the last couple of days I'm getting very slow speeds. Only improved when I restarted the hub but after a while it goes back to slow speeds.. I did a quiet line test on the line and it's ok

I don't understand much about these figures below.. but when I do a speed online, it's always below 5 mbpsScreenshot 2021-08-21 at 11.12.08.pngScreenshot 2021-08-21 at 11.33.18.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow internet speed

Go to solution

you have the max connection speed for fibre 2 of 80/20mb

try running btspeedtester with ethernet connection not wifi and post results

https://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Something not right , your line is connected at pretty much 80Mb download, so a 4.7Mb ‘test’ is hard to explain , how are you connecting, hardwired into the router , or using a wireless device (WiFi) ?, if you haven’t already , you need to do a test with a wired device , as any WiFi speed test is not necessary indicative of the speed at the router, and any problem could be something out of the control of your ISP or network supplier ( Openreach )
If you have only wireless devices ( phone, tablet etc ) it may be difficult to establish what the issue is

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 11.49.53.png

I have tried this test on this BT site and it gives different results each time, 5, 8, 7...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I'm on wifi.  I'm not sure if I still have an ethernet cable somewhere 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I've found an ethernet cable and connected my work laptop to the hub. Now I'm getting good speed. The wifi must be the issue then, what to do in this case?

IMG_7032c.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

have you turned off smart setup in hub manager?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

have you split the networks   

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-want-to-improve-my-wi-fi/how-d...

then select channels manually instead of auto  use wifi analyser on phone to find best/least congested channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you.

I already had smart set up off and splitted

I have changed the channel now but then I was getting crazy speeds on wifi.. how was that possible?🤣

Now it has settled to around 70 mbps

Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 12.27.02.jpgScreenshot 2021-08-21 at 12.32.15.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@borderline 

'I have changed the channel now but then I was getting crazy speeds on wifi.. how was that possible?'

often customers get unreal speeds from BT speedtester but after few attempts usually get a correct result.  been like that for ages and nothing gets done to fix it