Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hazelst3
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Slow peak time speeds #2

My BT infinity package promises 52 Meg broadband speed, but during peak times I only receive 2 Meg. I am paying hundreds of pounds a year, and when I complain to BT they threaten me with a £130 call out fee.

i am sick and tired of resetting this, that and the other, continuously running speed tests on the BT Wholesale website and being told there is no fault.

I have taken time off work many times for engineer appointments and they say there is no fault. Just about had enough of being ripped off by BT. Any legal advice would be more than welcome.  TIA.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Slow peak time speeds #2

@hazelst3

if it is a congestion issue sending an engineer out is pointless as there is nothing the engineer could do

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Re: Slow peak time speeds #2

Hi @hazelst3 and thanks for posting.

How are you connecting? Is it wired or wireless? Are you in the master socket or extension?

Can you post your helpdesk details? You'll find them in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

Can you also try running the speed test, including the further diagnostics when the connection is slow and post the results.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
hazelst3
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Engineer arrived today and was unable to fix the problem saying it was likely to be an issue with BT's servers and left it at that. On the phone now for 1 hour 30 minutes and still no reply after waiting in 3 hours today for the engineer, this is beyond a joke!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

You are wasting your time trying to speak to the helpdesk. It is a congestion problem which hopefully BTWholesale will be aware of through their monitoring systems and hopefully have in hand to be fixed by increasing capacity.

0 Ratings
hazelst3
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

In which case, why do BT run ads for superfast broadband when they are unable to provide the service? Mis-selling and then charging me for hundreds of pounds. Ofcom need to investigate, but probably won't as it would mean getting off their backsides.

0 Ratings
hazelst3
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Re: Infinity speeds very slow during peak times recently.

Promising speeds they can't deliver, what a rip off!

0 Ratings
hazelst3
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Re: BT Infinity 2 unlimited very slow at peak times

Can I exit my contract due to congestion issues. 52 Meg drops to 2 Meg during the evening. I could get 10 Meg on adsl for much less money. Engineer unable to fix and call centre are clueless, mobile broadband seems the way to go I think.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@hazelst3 wrote:

Can I exit my contract due to congestion issues. 52 Meg drops to 2 Meg during the evening. I could get 10 Meg on adsl for much less money. Engineer unable to fix and call centre are clueless, mobile broadband seems the way to go I think.

That is not a valid reason. Congestion issues are normally sorted.

Please provide the information requested by @DavidM on this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Slow-peak-time-speeds-2/m-p/1662246#M222298

0 Ratings
ApoAlaia
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

We are experiencing the same issue in Seaford (East Sussex).

I am not sure the exact day when it started but a group of friends we have been keeping track of it since the 30th of August.

We are in different cabinets and throughout the issues our routers do not resync, is just the bandwith being shrunk to 1/10th of the sync speed.

Upload speeds don't seem to be affected; mind you due to the... 'colourful' topology of the wiring in the town none of us can break the 5Mbps upload speed 'ceiling' anyway but download speeds decrease dramatically.

It seems to be the 21st century version of something I experienced in my childhood; back then it was with other utilities, mainly electricity and water, where at peak times you may or not have either and it was commonplace to fill your bath in the morning and keep candles and a torch handy.

Still undecided if its acceptable or not. Some of the more 'senior' members of the forum, judging from their replies on the subject, think it is as they mostly brush it off as a non-issue however I wonder if they would retain the almost cavalier attitude if the shortgages pertained to the aforementioned utilities... or if their bank decided unilaterally to shrink their available balance by 90% between the hours of 7PM and 1AM due to inferred cashflow issues but with no acknowledgement of the fact or explanation given.

0 Ratings