Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
El_Hair
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Slow speed and dropping connection

Since Saturday (13th July), I have been experiencing not only a significant loss in connection speed, but also loss of connectivity. Land line appears completely unaffected.

I normally expect to get speeds between 45 – 50 Mbps, but through Saturday this was coming in at 10 Mbps. I contacted BT Support who did a number of checks before formally raising it as an issue. Off the back of their checks I have had a slight increase in speed, now roughly 12 Mbps, and the connection seems to be a bit more stable.

Yesterday (Sunday 14th July), the speed remains the same and I am still losing connectivity. I hadn’t had any emails from BT support, so contacted them again. They at least confirmed the call from the night before and initially offered me an engineer visit at the end of the month. Having (hopefully understandably) said a two week wait for an engineer was not acceptable – especially given I work from home an awful lot, so not having any decent internet connection is a huge drawback – they offered to send me a new hub (initially for £69 which they eventually waived). So, now I am waiting for a new hub.

The thing is, I’m not convinced the hub is the issue, though willing to see once the new one turns up. I’ve not made any changes to the current hub’s (Hub 6A) settings, so inclined to think that this isn’t the cause of my problem. Having said that, I know from my own work in IT that it’s never that simple. I suppose it’s possible that there is something that has/is failed(ing) within the hub.

To that end, and given I don’t have the knowledge to tell otherwise, I wonder if it is possible to confirm/deny whether my issue does actually lie with the hub and not somewhere else? I’ve included a copy of the Event Log extracted from the hub. Is anyone capable of looking over this and giving me their view?

Happy to provide any more information that may be required.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
El_Hair
Beginner
Message 2 of 18

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

can you post hub stats  advanced settings then technical log information  please post here and not link save juming between screens

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

is quiet line test ok - no line noise?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
El_Hair
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Sorry, not sure where/how to get the "Quiet line test" results.

Advanced Settings:

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084319+NQ61938754
Firmware version: SG4B1000E016
Firmware updated: 01-Jan-0001
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.105.0
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 1 Hours 9 Minutes 12 Seconds
Data rate: 8.11 Mbps / 12.91 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 8307 / 12452
Noise margin: 6.9 dB / 5.8 dB
Line attenuation: 25.7 dB
Signal attenuation: 0 dB / 25.7 dB
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 10 MB Uploaded / 88 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: Imperium-2
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Channel 11
5 GHz wireless network name: Imperium-5
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 48)

01.jpg02.JPG

0 Ratings
El_Hair
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Should also add I did a factory rest on the hub this morning and no difference in behaviour. I have since restored my previous config.

Connection stability seems to last only about 4hrs 20mins at most.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

There are no 'results' for quiet line test, just listen and line should be completely silent, any noise at all indicates a line fault.

El_Hair
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Ah, right.
There's definitely some crackling/static. Not a huge amount, but some there.
Do I guess where this is going???
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

your connection speed is well below dslchecker estimated range  try using test socket with filter and repost stats - even if you currently are connected to a filtered master socket

quiet line test from test socket would be good place to start

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 18

Quiet line test. 17070 option 2. Any noise report a line fault not broadband.

El_Hair
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Yep, definitely not a "quiet" line either using the test socket or my normal one.

So, a new hub isn't going to make a difference as I suspected.

Question now though, how could BT Support not be able to tell something like that from their end? They certainly have more investigation tools at their disposal than I do.

0 Ratings