cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Slow speed due to distance from 'box' no solution from BT or Openreach

Go to solution

Hi. My broadband won't perform better than 23Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. I speak to BT and they say I'm on the best deal I can get, the issue is the Openreach network. I check with Openreach, and their fibre checker says Superfast up to 80Mbps is available, but when I speak to them directly, they say the distance the property is from the 'box' means I can't get better than 23Mbps. They advised I speak to neighbours about community funding. It would be cheaper to pay penalty to get out of BT altogether and use Virgin, which is available at much better speeds here. I live in a large town close to the centre, not as if I'm in a rural community, so I'm wondering if I have any other options. The speed I get currently is no good for working from home for the work I do. Thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Slow speed due to distance from 'box' no solution from BT or Openreach

Go to solution

Well unfortunately the PCP, or ‘Box’ as you call it ain’t getting any closer. You’ve got to bare in mind the majority of standalone PCP’s were put in long before there was such a thing as the internet, let alone FTTC so placement of PCP’s closer to people’s homes wasn’t exactly a top priority.

Openreach have pretty much sacked off the idea of installing anymore stand alone all in one PCP/DSLAMS and are putting all their funding efforts into FTTP.

So your choices are;

As suggested get your community together, apply for the Ultrafast Vouchers and then cough up the rest of the money yourself for FTTP to be deployed sooner.

Wait for Openreach to deploy FTTP in your area. https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first

Move to VM or maybe a 4 or 5G Router. Or maybe even someone like CityFibre or Hyperoptic may show up soon. You never know as there are now over 100 FTTP Network Providers in the U.K.

Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

If the best possible speed was always your priority and you were told at application that 23Mb or thereabouts was the speed you would get from an Openreach based product, then why go for that in the first place, if something faster was a available from the start, with FTTC it’s simple physics really, the greater the distance the slower the speed , someone closer to the ‘box’ will get better speed, you are not being slowed down intentionally, FTTC is designed as a ‘rate adaptive’ system , it varies the rate dependent on the line characteristics ( length basically )
Your options have been stated , but you won’t be released from early termination charges , if you are within a minimum term, simply because a faster alternative is available from a competitor.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for reply.  BT didn't give me any indication that it would be limited to 23Mbps when I signed up, and when I queried BT on it after, they suggested upgrading my package (this was 12 months ago or so) which obviously made no difference. There were a couple of occasions that the service dropped off completely, and at that point I spoke to the Openreach engineer, who said it was likely the network was limited. With no useful assistance from BT I got a clearer answer out of Openreach recently. When I go back to BT, they point out that I am getting the minimum that my contract states, just (20Mbps). They also say as soon as Openreach upgrade, I automatically get the fastest speed. Openreach say they have no plans to upgrade on my street.

I would rather not have to move my whole package because of this, and it seems crazy that I live in a large town where Ultrafast speeds are being installed, but I cant get anything out of Superfast on my street. I'm a bit in disbelief that there isn't a solution. I guess moving to VM is the best I can do.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

BT will have given you an indication of a speed range, they have to before they can sell you anything. It's also mentioned on order confirmations etc.

Also you are aware that to install networks then sometimes have to dig up roads etc so living in a town it can be more difficult to install the infrastructure needed

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Thx. Yes I guess it would be more difficult in a town, in my mind I saw 'community initiative' and thought of rural villages. Regarding speed range, the product was sold as average 67Mbps, just didn't expect I would only ever get just above the minimum guarantee. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

67Mb average is the national figure so it's based on a few million customers. You will have been given a speed estimate as well as guartanteed minimum before purchase.

You will also have been sent a confirmation email detailing the same after purchase.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

As already pointed out, there is an average figure 60 odd Mb ( that would be for the 80Mb variety as it’s obviously in excess of the 55Mb version) but you will have also been given an individual estimate for your line, in my own case I’m on the 80Mb product , I’m about 80m from the cab and get the full 80Mb , my prediction was for mid 70’s to 80Mb, yet the a average was 67Mb or whatever....in my case I get better than the average because of the relatively short distance to the cabinet.

Its possible your line should be performing better but a fault is affecting it, without knowing what your line was individually predicted to deliver , there  is no way to know if 23Mb is low , bang on, or actually better than predicted , perhaps you can post your returns from 

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If your line is significant less than predicted , then you need to establish if whatever is affecting the speed internal ( your problem ) or external ( Openreach’s problem ),  posting your router stats will also help in establishing if what you get is acceptable for the limitations of the line.

As far as addressing slow speeds , OR are by far the biggest FTTP provider and are spending huge sums all over the country upgrading areas to FTTP , but obviously they cannot do everywhere at once, it’s a multi year role out....your area will ( no doubt ) be upgraded to FTTP at some point , but if there is a list , there is always a top and a bottom, if in your case VM are already present, then OR may prioritise other areas first.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Yes I know its my fault for expecting more than guaranteed minimum. Thinking back I am a bit annoyed that BT suggested upgrading my package (over the phone) when it makes no difference to my speed, although I do get a couple other benefits.

Moving past that, right now it would be great if there was a solution that didn't involve changing provider to get speeds above 23Mbps. It looks like BT/Openreach just can't provide a solution at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

You still haven’t provided any info regarding the speed your line potentially can provide, if 23Mb is what the predicted speed is, and that what you get ( and were advised you should expect ) then there is no foul or penalty, just an unrealistic expectation....if the line can genuinely only provide 23Mb then your provider shouldn’t be trying to sell a faster package over the same infrastructure as there would be no increase in download speed ( potentially better upload though )

0 Ratings