cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Slow speed with Smart Hub 2

I have recently received me new Smart Hub 2 and since switching over I feel my general browsing has been laggy and every time I do a speed test I am getting 1/3 of the speed a should be.

I have had BT fibre for the past 3 years and had no issues using the older Smart Hub, always getting the quoted speeds 50mbps then 75mbps.  I have fibre to the house and have been told I can get the maximum speed.

I should be getting 150mbps with a guarantee of 100, however since switching from my old router and 75mbps to the new hub I feel my general browsing has been noticeably more laggy.  I tried doing a speedcheck on the My BT app but every time it kept telling me there was a problem connecting.

I phoned BT support with this and was told it was because I had fibre to the house that the speed check wouldn't work and that I was getting the full speed.  I have downloaded 4 different speed checker apps on my phone and done web based checks on my laptop and they are all giving a max speed of around 50 sometimes less.

I feel as though there is definitely an issue as even with 50mbps I should not have any noticeable lag when generally surfing or loading pictures and media.  I never had this issue before on the same devices and websites.

Anyone any ideas?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Slow speed with Smart Hub 2

Try with a wired connection and post back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Hi @M4TT1   Have you tried turning off smart setup etc. Also are you sure that you are connecting using the 5 GHz band as connecting on the 2.4 GHz band will greatly reduce your wireless speed to less than 50 mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Where would I be able to turn off smart setup?
I did have my last one split into two bands, 2.4 and 5 but I cant remember how I done it. I have just done a speed check there again and got 110mbps so its seems to have speeded up. It just has not been as reliable as previously, I lost connection last night and that never happened before.
I will try a wired connection as suggested above and run the test again and see how I get on.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

0 Ratings