cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benfish
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Slow speeds after moving house...

Hello.  I was hoping a MOD could help me so I can get infinity 2 back up and running.

I lived in a house on the same street as my new one currently.  I had infinity 2 and got the maximum speed of 75-80mbps usually. 

I moved house which is serviced by the same exchange (Google maps says my old house is 60m away from it and the new place is 120m away from the exchange, as the crow flies).  

I have always gotten approximately 40mbps since i've moved house, which seems low when looking at the technology of VDSL2.  

I completed all the wholesale speedtests and the ADSL broadband checker which shows 80mbps with a threshold of 49mbps.  I'm below both of these.

I have a homehub 6 with a dual master socket where as my old house had a single socket and a modem with a HH3.  

Any ideas?   

EDIT:  My sync speed in my router is 44mbps too.

My upload speeds are good too.  I just want the best speeds I can get as I rely on my connection these days 😞 

Thanks for listening.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow speeds after moving house...

Can you enter your phone number and post results remember delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

can you post post stats from hh6. Advanced settings then technical log information 

try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

It is not the distance to the exchange that matters with VDSL, it is the distance from the Fibre cabinet that matters. 

You can not compare one houses line with another even although they may be close to each other. Each line is unique and speeds can be different.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed. 

0 Ratings
benfish
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the replies.

Here's the information requested.  I'm always wired with my internet, not a fan of wireless personally.  

Not sure if it matteres but this development was built around 8-10 years ago with my house being 9 years old when it was all installed (I'm assuming).Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture1.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Quiet line test?

connected to test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
benfish
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

I don't have an ADSL filter 😞  Going to grab one tommorow to try it.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Did you try quiet line test for noise

0 Ratings
benfish
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

I'm guessing that's where you dial the number gg3040 mentioned. I don't have a phone in the house at all so I can't dial anything. I literally use the line for broadband only.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

You really need to invest about £5 in a corded phone as one of the initial tests is to check you have a dial tone and if there is any line noise. If you get engineer visit and problem is on your side of test socket then you will get charged £130 for the callout

0 Ratings
benfish
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Yeah i'll grab one tomorrow when I buy a ADSL filter.

If I plug into the test socket though and get the same speed issue then it can't be my wiring?
0 Ratings