Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hellothere19
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Slow speeds since the past 3 weeks

Hi all

My BT speeds should be as per contract around 40mbs and usually I’m getting around 35mbs

Just before  Christmas there was a significant drop in speed, getting latency of around 200, download 1-4 mbs and upload not much better

speeds have slowly increased, but I’m still well below the promised speeds

Download speeds are now between 12-24 mbs and latency hovers between 10-100 which is way too high

I have done tens of speed test,  both WiFi and connected through the Ethernet net or directly to the router

I’m out of contract, but that shouldn’t make a difference really is my contractual speeds 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow speeds since the past 3 weeks

Welcome again to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Can you post stats from your router?

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps improve speed. This should be tried even if you currently have a filtered master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
hellothere19
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

There is no noise on the line

my BT router gave the ghost last year, as being out of contract and per recommendation here  here I got a TP link router and speeds have been great till late December when problems started  

basic Status

Device Information

Firmware Version:0.9.1 0.2 v0076.0 Build 170919 Rel.61201n

Hardware Version:TD-W9970 v2 00000000

System Up Time:0 day(s) 00:32:17

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors (Pkts)

WAN

Name Connection Type VPI/VCI or VID IP/Mask Gateway DNS Status
br_8_35_1Bridge8/35N/AN/AN/AConnected
pppoe_ptm_101_0_dPPPoE10186.154.155.137 /32172.16.11.17781.139.57.100 81.139.56.100Connected

IPv6 WAN

Name Connection Type VPI/VCI or VID IPv6 Address/Prefix Length Gateway DNSv6 Status

LAN

MAC Address:0C:80:63:86:98:9C

IP Address:192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

DHCP:Enabled

IPv6 LAN

IPv6 Address:N/A

Prefix Length:64

Autoconfiguration Type:RADVD

Wireless

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

You have a 35mb connection speed which is almost at your attainable speed and with noise margin down about 3db you have G.INP activated.  You appear to be as fast as line can handle

have you tried test socket to see if that helps any?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
hellothere19
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I have to do test socket test on Monday as I lend out my Ethernet to telephone adaptor to a colleague yesterday

these test results where from Ethernet (cat6 thorougout the house) cable but not the test socket 

if there is no problem with BT speeds, how come I  don’t get the full speed towards my devices both wired and wireless ? Is that a router problem?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

It could be a router problem or possibly congestion

run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results. Must be done with wired connection - powerline adapter.  Post results

hellothere19
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Thanks
I’ll do it ear’y next week and update hete
0 Ratings
hellothere19
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Sorry for a late reply, have had such a busy week

speeds picked up, sometimes I’m getting 34 mbs but majority of speeds remain around 19-24 mark. 

I might be thinking of upgrading my package as according to BT I could get up to 65 mbs now....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

the 65mb is an average speed not what you will actually achieve and from your stats you cannot even attain the infinity 1/superfast speed of 55mb so cannot see any point in upgrading to superfast plus at 80mb - just waste of money

0 Ratings