cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Slow speeds

Morning, up until recently my fibre has been running fine but the past couple of weeks I have been getting random drop outs then last week my connection went of for a second or two when it came back on it had dropped from 27mb down to 16mb. I did all the usual checks left it for a few days then spoke to customer service which agreed with me saying their is a fault on the line and booked an engineer. He turned up with his gaffer and they where hear for a good hour went down to the cabinet to check there and also went up the pole, but after all that I was told the maximum I can get is 19mb and that there is nothing wrong with the line.so I explained  to them how come I have been getting up to 27mb for the last 18months they didn't seem to have an answer.can anyone advise where can I go next with this

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Slow speeds

anyone help, tweeted @btcare but they have not answered

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

2017-06-10 (1).png2017-06-10 (2).png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Your screen shots are impossible to read. You will need to do them again at a bigger size setting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

sorry2017-06-10 (1).png2017-06-10 (2).png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Your hub stats would appear to confirm what the engineer said. Your max data rate is showing as 17.8Mbps and our noise margin is 6.2 which leaves nothing for improvement.

The only slightly odd stat is your data rate is showing a 17.9Mbps which is slightly higher than you max data rate but this might change if you leave your connection alone over the next few days. 

As regards why your speeds have dropped, it could be because of crosstalk due to more subscribers taking up Infinity. If it is crosstalk there is nothing at present that can be done about it.

You could try connecting to the master socket test socket and re-checking the stats to see if there is an improvement. Assuming they don't improve and assuming there is no noise on your line as per the silent test, all you would appear to be able to do is contact BT and report another fault per chance the first engineer missed something.

Because you are below your estimated speed range BT should try and resolve this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Thanks for your advice. Has for the master socket that's one of the first things I tried and still got the same result

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

One thing I forgot the ping on the line has gone down from 22 to 16 so it's not all bad news

0 Ratings