Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Slow sync speeds after telephone fault fix

Hello.

I've had a telephone fault in my area over the easter weekend, causing my max attainable speed to drop from ~80000 Kbps to ~23000 Kbps. Ping times also fluctuated wildly between 10ms and 200ms.

Initially on calling BT I was informed the fault was with the Home Hub 5 and asked for £50 or a contract extension to replace. I disputed this as it seemed unlikely a fault in the modem would cause this, and borrowed a DrayTek Vigor 130 to test, and had the exact same issues (sync speed considerably dropped, ping times all over the place).

I called again providing this information and further tests were running which found the telephone line fault, an Openreach engineer was sent out, the issue was resolved and my max attainable rate is now back to how it should be. However, i'm still syncing at 20mbit down / 12mbit up. I can only assume this is DLM / Banding that wasn't reset by the Openreach engineer?

I've contacted BT again this morning and was told they A) Can only send an engineer to the property and not to the exchange B) I should contact Openreach directly (they don't deal directly with customers, do they?). 

The sync speed is too convinient (19999 Kbps, 11999 Kbps) to be anything but a limit placed on the line to deal with the previous stability issues (although obviously I may be completely wrong).

Does anybody know what I can do? Is there anything a Moderator can do?

Stats from the Vigor 130 below:

vdsl status

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 19998000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 11999000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 80468708 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 28131000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast 
   DS Interleave Depth     :        1       US Interleave Depth  :        1 
   NE Current Attenuation  :       14 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :       23  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     4. 2 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 0  dB
   NE CRC Count            :        0       FE CRC Count         :    17671
   NE ES Count             :        0       FE  ES Count         :    13252
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        1
   ITU Version[0]          : b5004946       ITU Version[1]       : 544e0000
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-06-0D-01-07   [with Vectoring support] 
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 
   Test Mode               : DISABLE 
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :       14 dB    Far SNR Margin       :       16  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004244       CO ITU Version[1]    : 434da48c
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < BDCM >
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow sync speeds after telephone fault fix

as your line had a fault on it you need an engineer visit to reset the DLM this needs doing from your home as the exchange is not involved with infinity you are not an Openreach customer and they will not deal with you this needs the help desk to arrange
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise a DLM reset was from the property and not the exchange, I'll call them up and see how that goes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

fibre services are from your local street cabinet not the exchange you need a broadband engineer sending
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

BT Help Desk informed me they can't reset DLM via an Openreach engineer and that I must just wait.

I explained that the fault was logged as a telephone only issue (I reported as broadband). That the engineer had explained to me that due to this a DLM reset wasn't performed. As well as that this is both possible and something they do.

No budge from help desk and a warning that sending an engineer out would almost certainly result in the £129 fee. 

Any advice welcome, thank you!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Hi @eyeohno sorry you could not get this sorted when you contacted the helpdesk.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

An Engineer can reset your DLM from his kitchen if he wanted. All they need is your OGEA Number and their work phone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Hi @eyeohno,

Thank you for taking my call yesterday. The profile does look to have recovered some what, at the moment it is sitting at 63 Mbps. When I test your connection it is picking up a fault and I've sent this off for investigation. I'll let you know as soon as I get an update from BT Wholesale.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 10

@eyeohno wrote:

BT Help Desk informed me they can't reset DLM via an Openreach engineer and that I must just wait.

It is Openreach that won't send an engineer just to do a DLM reset. As has been posted above your profile is slowly recovering automatically.

0 Ratings