Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
derekdel
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Slow throughput

Hi,

I am experiencing slow throughput on my line[s] mostly at night at the usual times of 7pm onwards until after midnight. I have had the engineering visit yesterday and test were completed without any faults on the line[s].
I am desperately tying to explain this to the call centre staff when they contact me by phone to find if the fault is fixed.  It is not fixed as I am still experiencing the same problem at a varying degree during the time mentioned and at various points during the daytime now.

I am now getting what colour of light do I have on my router, is it a wireless connection I am getting the fault with, basically I am now going around in circles, trying the same things, stating the same facts to the centres as I have told them several times what I have done.

I have done the following even before I contacted BT:

Speed tests from various sites.
BT Speedtest [not once would it let me complete a full TAP3 test on either line] Not multiple attempts as I know it only allows a few tries!
Changed routers, cables, tested from test socket and manually connected using a windows laptop via a BT modem linked to the test socket.

I have 1 BT line infinity and another fibre line provided by another ISP at the same address [I know I need to contact the other supplier and it has nothing to do with BT, for info only]

I am politely asking if a mod can contact me so I can communicate with someone in Europe.

Thanks
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Slow throughput

can you rrun btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  can you run when speed appears ok and then when speed appears poor  must be done with ethernet conenction

which exchange and cabinet are you on?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
derekdel
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

poor speeds 7pm onwards till 12 and after.

Lanark exchange Cabinet 20

Hard wired as always

The speed below is twice what I have been getting. On going for about a while now.

2nd engineer visit booked for tomorrow as BT have identified a problems with the lines at the exchange?

It is also slowing down on my other fibre line to.

result 23.13 6 april 18.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

If it's a congestion issue the engineer visit will be a waste of time.

0 Ratings
derekdel
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

@pippincpwrote:

If it's a congestion issue the engineer visit will be a waste of time.

Trust me I know that!

I need to get the ball rolling faster this time as it took months to fix the last time

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 14

Hi @derekdel,

Thanks for the post and I am sorry to read of the problems you are experiencing with your connection.  Nothing worst than coming home in an evening wanted to use your connection only to find that your speed has nose dived Smiley Sad

Certainly sounds like a congestion issue.  I have checked Wholesale latest congestion report and there are a number of SVLAN on Lanark which are reporting over utilisation.  For the majority of these Lanark SVLAN's, Wholesale require further infrastructure to sort the issue and this is planned for early July. 

We can confirm if you are being affected by this by running a check to obtain the SVLAN you are using.  To do this we will need your account details.

Please drop us an email?  You will find the mods contact link on my profile.  Fill in your details and we can do some further digging from our end.

While we can confirm if you are being served by one of the affected SVLAN's, we cannot do anything to expedite the date when Wholesale plan to address the issue, but at the very least you will know where you stand.

Cheers

Sean 

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
derekdel
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

@SeanD

Thank you for getting back to me, details have been sent.

I knew there was a problem as I could see it happening for weeks but just trying getting people/ISP’s to listen is torture!

Thanks again

Del

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Hi @derekdel,

Thank you for sending in your details. I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today. I've ran a few checks on your line, the SVLAN you're currently connected to is listed as green so shouldn't be impacted at peak times.

In order to get BT Wholesale to investigate, please can you run an new BT Speed test tonight using the link http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Please make sure to run the "Further Diagnostic" once the first test complete. Once I have that speed test I'll be able to discuss with BT wholesale, moving your connection over to a differant SVLAN if possible.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
derekdel
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Hi @PaddyB

Sorry I missed your call earlier, thanks for phoning.

It may say green but the last test I carried out on Sunday gave a reading of  9.22mbps on my BT line, the other reported 6.95mbps. I will try it later. I would also like to point out I have not been able to completely fulfill a TAP3 when the router login details are changed. I get the error message:

The Performance Tester is disabled to support TAP3 for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly , however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

I know if this system is abused with too many tests it can fail but this was encountered on the first try.

I will let you know how I get on.

0 Ratings
derekdel
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

Hi @PaddyB

Test completed, you should be able to locate that on your system for about 21:20 hrs

BT line:

BT Line

Other line:

fibre line

It is worth noting [without being rude or cheeky] that before similar results were noticed for the SVLAN showing green lights regarding conjestion at the exchange. You have the phone number for my other line, it has a greater sync rate but slower results than the BT line.

See what Wholesale says about this as I am rather interested in their reply.

0 Ratings