cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Slow upload speed

My download speed is fine (49 mbps) though volatile (sometimes down to 1-2 mbps), but upload speed has been consistently at or near 0 for 24 hours.

I reset my router several times but no change.

Coincidentally this started happening after I connected the router to my Youview box in my new house (moved 1 week ago), but I unplugged the cable now so not sure it would still affect it...

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Slow upload speed

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Thanks Keith but I have broadband only, no phone.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@marcobltwrote:

Thanks Keith but I have broadband only, no phone.

You cannot have broadband without a 'phone line. Check your MyBT for confirmation of this. 

The usual suggestion is to obtain a cheap corded phone and test as suggested by @Keith_Beddoe

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

@marcoblt 

Why do you need phone connected to your line?

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

Also bear in mind Line rental is included in all BT packages

Message 6 of 15

Hi, I got a phone and plugged in, there is no noise when doing the test and upload problem persists.

Any other suggestion?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi @marcoblt,

Can you post your hub stats so that we can take a look at them?

Hub Stats
The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

When using a Hub 3, you will see an option at the bottom right hand corner to select 'full details'. click on this, copy the info displayed and post the results. If using a BT Home Hub 4 or 5 navigate to 'Troubleshooting' then to 'Logs'. You will then find two lines which will state 'DSL noise margin' and 'DSL line rate', copy this info and include this in your post.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click ‘Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

edited: moderator posted request for info.

Upload speed can be affected by poor high frequency line performance, or interference from other network devices like powerline adaptors.

Message 9 of 15

Hi Matt, here are the results:

Maximum data rate:

26025 / 90307

Noise margin:

22.7 dB / 15.6 dB

Line attenuation:

27.9 dB

Signal attenuation:

19.7 dB / 27.9 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

2 GB Uploaded / 20 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-W72T

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-W72T

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

88:A6:C6:06:A4:B7

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

You've omitted the line above Max ddata rate.