cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Slow upload speeds

Lately my fibre broandband speeds have been very intermittent. Each check I do using a broadband speed test has me at around 30-45 MB, no problems there.

My upload speed is very low, sometimes barely above zero and typically less than 1.5 MB.

Opening web pages is sometimes super fast, and other times I have no connection at all; this occurs from one minute to the next.

I've done a full reboot of the system, ensured the router is in a good location (have not yet done a factory reset however as I don't know if that will improve this issue). The BT connection checker keeps telling me everything is fine, however that seems to focus on download speed. 

Whilst we use our connection for Netflix, Alexa at night etc; during the day there are 2 people working from home (not streaming), and other than some Zoom calls or sporadic file downloads, we're not heavy users. 

Can I get some advice on how to improve my upload speeds? I have the BT home hub router, and am not certain where in the smart hub manager settings there is anything I can do. The last firmware update was late last year, and it doesn't seem that there is another one possible currently. 

Is there possibly something wrong with my router itself, the signal through my wifi is very stable, the connection just doesn't seem to be getting through. Any help would be appreciated. Having checked my area that seems to be fine also.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slow upload speeds

Which broadband speed test are you using? Have you checked for noise on your line? 17070 option 2.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi @DeeMan101,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry if you've been having a few problems with your connection.

Please can you try what @pippincp has suggested? If you post the stats from your Router as well this will give us a good indication of how you connection is performing.

You can get the router stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’.

Once you have those details, please post them back on this thread. 

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thanks,

I don't actually use a landline phone so can't plug one in.

I tried rescanning the channels, 2.4, and 5. I think there are potentially just too many items on the 2.4 channel. I moved laptops to the 5GHz channel, and that seems to massively have improved the upload speeds as we don't have much else on there.

I'll keep you posted if that no longer works.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi @DeeMan101,

Thank you for posting back to update the thread.

The 5 GHz does tend to be better than the 2.4GHz in terms of speed but this can drop off the further away you are from the Hub.

Hopefully that's resolved things for you but if you need help post back as there always someone on the community happy to help.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Follow-up on this. My 2.4ghz was still very slow on channel 11. I changed to channel 1 and it massively improved my upload speed from less than 1.0 to 7.5.

0 Ratings