cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Slower Broadband after Firmware SG4B1000E040

Hi all - my router restarted just now and looks like its installed new firmware SG4B1000E040. Since then my Line attenuation and signal attenuation have increased a fair bit and now my broadband speed has dropped more than 20% from 25mb to about 18-19mb. That doesn't sound like a lot I guess but I am working from home and it is having an impact.

See info from router below.. I don't have a land line to plug in and check quality of line (for crackles etc). Also the box I connect my router to is a Mk2 so it doesn't have a test socket. Any ideas?

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ80606502

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E040

Firmware updated:

21-Oct-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 10 Minutes 26 Seconds

Data rate:

5.60 Mbps / 22.73 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

5598 / 23373

Noise margin:

6.2 dB / 3.4 dB

Line attenuation:

63.5 dB

Signal attenuation:

50.8 dB / 33.4 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

194 kB Uploaded / 271 kB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

Firewall:

On

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Slower Broadband after Firmware SG4B1000E040

according to stats you have 22mb connection with a 23mb attainable and noise margin down at 3.1db suggesting G.INP active

which master

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Hi there - thanks for replying its appreciated. 

Yeah despite the data rate shown since the restart the max I have managed is 19mb or there abouts. Thats wired direct into data port on router. The data rate used to be around 25/26

I have the socket shown in number 6 on that list.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

so just to confirm if master no 6 then you do have a test socket behind the faceplate

enter your phone number and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Oh ok is it behind the top bit perhaps then? The bottom bit if I take it off just has a socket for a phone not an RJ11 which my broadband uses.

BeardyTimbo_0-1603288111658.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

your connection speed is about the same now as it was on 16/10 before the firmware update  it is also well within your expected speed range

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Ok thanks yeah I can see that says 22.66 observed on the 16th, and I'd expect some fluctuation in results.

However I do usually get a solid 25/25mb and have done for the 2 years I lived here. The 19mb I am getting now on every single test (whether that is due to firmware or not) is a fair amount lower than my norm.

I realise BT have their stay fast range but I posted here as I hoped someone could help explain the sudden drop. Granted the firmware could be a red herring although I do now see other posts with people posting similar issues after this firmware upgrade earlier in the year.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

but as can be seen from dslchecker results your speed is the same now as it was before the firmware update so the firmware update is a red herring as far as your connection speed is concerned

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

I think you might be  missing my point.. I'm also not convinced the firmware made any difference but what I do know is prior to the firmware and subsequent reboot I got a solid.

25mb

now I get 

19mb

Somethings changed I dunno what, thank you for your help though your troubleshooting steps were helpful but my original issue remains. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

sorry to labour this but your firmware update was today but your speed on the 16/10 is the same as the speed currently shown by your hub stats so how can firmware be the problem if speed just the same before and after

0 Ratings