cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puratech
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Slower connection on the Homehub 4

I bought a homehub 4 which arrived today. I set it up and noticed the speed seems way slower - the BT speed test said about 28/16 down and up, speedtest.net/bbmax and download speeds reflected this too.  I hooked the old Homehub 3 back up and my speed jumped back up 199/15 on the FTTP speed tester.  The homehub and network icon see my pc connected at 1000mbs on the gigE port on both hubs.

I'm on the option 3 160/20 FTTP service and connected over ethernet.  Any ideas? 🙂

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
puratech
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Slower connection on the Homehub 4

No ideas?

It's quite frustrating having bought it, not to be able to use it because the performance is so bad.

0 Ratings
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Leave the Home Hub 4 installed. It should settle in, what is your current firmware on the Home Hub 4? When was it last updated?

0 Ratings
Theoldchap
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Thats not really true, routers don't just settle in. They either work properly right away or they don't. If they don't they need configuring / troubleshooting.

0 Ratings
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Oh sorry about that. I was referring to the connection. Did you have any internet dropouts in the night (like lots) ? You could have a faulty hub. 

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

I decided since I had more time today I'd give it another go, swapped the network cables over and immediately it's working fast on the homehub 4.  I have no idea why, or what could have made it run slower before, but it seems to be working great now..

Download speedachieved during the test was - 176.77 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis  16 Mbps-212.83 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 212.83 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 19.55Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Utterly confusing, but thanks for the help, I just hope it stays like this 🙂

0 Ratings
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

I'm guessing the firmware was updated. That's what happened to me on day 1. Family wasn't impressed. They all kept complaining every thing is slow and yeah. The next day it went back to normal.

Also,  your speed shouldn't drop (as of now) unless there is something wrong with the line or the Openreach box keeps resseting.

Also, the Home Hub 5 is pretty much out right now as some people have reported that its available to get. But seeing as you are an exsisting customer, you have to pay to upgrade it to the HH5. (Which is apparently £46)

The Home Hub 5 has AC Wifi, 4 Gig ports.

And Oooohhh, can I ask what infinity package you are on? Getting speeds like that are awesome!

puratech
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Im on the £35pm Infinity 3 FTTP (160/20), it says i can get Infinity 4 (300/20) too, but I don't think id notice the difference 99% of the time. 🙂

I'll probably try to get a hub5 soon enough.

Everythings still working fine now 🙂

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 13

@Theoldchap wrote:

Thats not really true, routers don't just settle in. They either work properly right away or they don't. If they don't they need configuring / troubleshooting.

They may not need a settling in time but they will need the automatic firmware upgrade if necessary.

0 Ratings
Synchron1ze
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

@puratech   what do you mean by "swapped the network cables" ... the ethernet cable? or ...?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings