Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
studsr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Slower speed after renewing contract + very poor Help Desk service

Go to solution

I am referring to BT Incident Number: VOLxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Prior to renewing my contract in March, I used to get a steady 55 Mbps.

After renewing my contract, I noticed the speed dropped to 41 Mbps. nothing has changed in my house.

I ran all the tests I could via the BT Help website, and eventually was told I would have to speak to someone at BT. Via the online chat, an Engineer visit was arranged for Friday 15th June (different BT Incident No: VOLxxxxxxxxxxxx). I took the day off work Engineer was meant to arrive between 9am and noon. At 11:50am I contacted BT, and was told the visit had been cancelled...unbelievable.

So, another visit is arranged, for last Tuesday 26th June. The Openreach Engineer turned up this time (very nice guy). He did a number of tests both in my house and up at the Exchange, a 2 minute drive away. He could find no faults in my house or up at the Exchange. The speed up at the Exchange is 80 Mbps, and the speed measured at the cable just as it enters my house (before it even reaches master socket or router) was 41 Mbps. Enginer says this is way lower than expected, he is at a loss to explain, and suggests I speak to BT the next day, to see where we go from here.

Here are screen grabs of that conversation - I found it most unhelpful, and quite frankly was offended to be told "you dont need to keep contacting us again and again about the same problem". The advice given was to reboot router - the Engineer did this several times, so I knew that was not going to fix the problem.

*Edited by Mod*

Anyway, I did as asked, reset the router by using the little pin hole at the back...and waited.

Needless to say, I have not been contacted today to see how things are. Here's some speed tests I've run over past 24 hrs.

BT Speed1.JPGBT Speed2.JPGBT Speed3.JPG

So, its gone up a bit, to 47 Mbps, but still not brilliant. I obviously dont expect to get anywhere near the 80 Mbps that happens at the exchange, but considering I used to get a steady 55, something is going wrong somewhere, and I feel my Fault Call has just fallen into a black hole.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slower speed after renewing contract + very poor Help Desk service

Go to solution

You need to delete the Live Chat transcript. It's against forum rules. You can paraphrase if you want.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed. 

studsr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Apologies re Live Chat screens, I will delete them (although the "Edit" button seems to not show on the three dots on original post?

Here are the screenshots you requested:

test1.JPGtest2.JPG

No noise on line (Engineer also confirmed this during his visit on Tuesday).

Engineer replaced Master Socket on Tuesday, and ran tests on wiring outside house, as cable enters from garden - the speed was 41 Mbps, which must indicate (as you suggest) there is a line fault before the text socket on BT's side.

We have no phone extensions.

Let me know if you need anythig else.

Thanks for your help,

Andy. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Can you post the stats from the Homehub.

0 Ratings
studsr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Apologies - here you go:

hub.JPG 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Your estimated speeds quoted are between 46Mbps and 66Mbps.

Your router uptime is just over a day. Did you re-start it or does it re-start its self?

As can be seen by your line stats you are getting 49.5Mbps and your noise margin is 5.9 which is close to the optimum of 6.0. You max attainable is 49.6.

There does not appear to be any room for improvementand and as you are within your estimated speeds albeit at the lower end I doubt there is much that  BT/Openreach will do to try and improve what you have but I will ask.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @studsr Sorry that your speed has dropped after you renewed and you were unable to get this resolved when you called us.

We will be happy to have a look to see if anything can be done to improve your connection if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Spoiler

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
studsr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you John, I will contact you to see what can be done - the speed this morning has dropped again to 46.4

Andy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

which exchange and cabinet are you on?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings