cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul_fettes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Slower than expected BT Infinity speeds

The sync speed of the router could be within the range if he is on the VDSL B (impacted) the Speedtest.net is the throughput, he needs to talk to the cp and find out if they can tell them if they are on the A or B, I am on The B range and lose 30M over 450 - 500 Mtrs due to aluminium cable being in the route. If they get an engineer out it would probably be a super fast visit assure job where the cp thinks it is within range and an engineer will come along with their tester and if they get the sync speed on their tester above what is in their job notes then they won't do anything. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
soldave
Beginner
Message 12 of 17

Help me with my acronyms please. CP?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

Communication provider
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

Unless there's something non standard about the line such as aluminium or a bridge tap, then it's expected lines will perform within the A range.

BT offer services based on the A range estimation, therefore an engineer visit is required. If the engineer identified it's alu, then so be it, but without an engineer visit it would never be known.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
soldave
Beginner
Message 15 of 17

Well I've started a case through BT support so hopefully that will run its course and they'll either magically fix it or I can arrange for an engineer to come out and check it out.

0 Ratings
soldave
Beginner
Message 16 of 17

Well I've got an engineer to come take a look at the house on the 23rd. Just hoping they don't randomly find something wrong they can pin me with a charge for. Think everything is solid my end, despite the master socket being in a slightly strange place when I bought the house.

soldave
Beginner
Message 17 of 17

An update but nothing really uplifting. The flow goes like this:

• 13th: I got a voicemail saying that there was a known issue in my area with the broadband speed. So they had cancelled my engineer visit. This area would be fixed by the 14th and if I was still having problems after the 16th I should get in contact.
  • 17th: Download speed still no higher than 28.6Mbps. Contacted customer service via live chat who did the usual BT Wholesale speed test, and also told me to reset me HH6 using the reset button. No change in speed. Then told me there is an issue in the area which will be fixed by the 19th at the latest, and I should see a speed increase then.
  • 20th: Download speed 28.7Mbps on BT Wholesale speed test. Will contact customer service on live chat once again this evening, but am fully expecting to hear the same thing. Hub is still reporting 30.72Mbps downstream and 5.36 upstream.

Will report back with what I hear.

0 Ratings