Did you mean: 
Highlighted
clansman007
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Slowing Speed SNR Dropping

Go to solution

Hi

I have had Infinty for over 4 years, 2 years with BT and relatively been stable. I get a pretty stable 46Mb.

I monitor the connection frequently to ensure all is well. Recently I have noticed a steady drop in both speed and SNR, down to 37Mb now with the SNR at 6. Usually I will see a drop for a couple of weeks as the Mgt kicks in but usually jumps back to the 45-46Mb but the drop has been for about 6-8 weeks now and the sync speed is getting lower and lower

Voice is OK, no crackling or broken conversations

Anyone offer any thoughts

Thanks

Clansman007

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slowing Speed SNR Dropping

Go to solution

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
clansman007
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34260328
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 03/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 04:12:07
6. Data rate:12740 / 38142
7. Maximum data rate:12844 / 42904
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation:23.5 / 19.3
10. Signal attenuation:23.3 / 18.7
11. Data sent/received:42.3 MB / 862.1 MB
12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Speed.JPG

FTTC Check.PNG

As requested, info above

As I say, I check this frequently - when I got Infinity 2, max I got was 47, it settled around 45-46Mb with an SNR of 6.2-6.4 and has been for 2 years with BT

Over the past couple of month it dropped to 40Mb, which it has done before but would go back to normal after a couple of weeks - which I assume was DLM

This time round it is not going back up and the SNR is dropping

Thanks

Clansman

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

you are just below the lower end of you estimated speed with stats looking ok with normal noise margin of 6db.  is there any noise on quiet line test?

are you using the test socket with a new filter to see if that helps your speed?   the most likely cause of the drop in conenction speed is crosstalk as more people areadded to your cabinet

with your estimated and actual conenction speed you should downgrade to infinity 1 new package of 55/10mb and get same speed and save some money  phone options team who are uk based 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
clansman007
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Did the quiet line test, appears normal - no crackling or noises

The HH5 is plugged into the BT filtered faceplate

Would crosstalk cause a drop of about 25% speed in a couple of months, as I say, been a steady 46Mb for 2 years with BT

Am I correct in saying that the distance of line is only relevant to the street cabinet with FTTC?

Is there a way to find out the line length?

Thanks

Clansman

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

you are right  - it is the distance to strre cabinet that counts.  unless you can see the cable all the way from the cabinet you have no way of knowing what the cable length is as it does not always follow the shortest route

if you read some other posts on the forum so have had similar drops with crosstalk - which exchange and cab are you on?

even if you can get back to the 46mb you would still be better downgrading to new infinity 1 package of 55/10mb

0 Ratings
clansman007
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Had a read bout cross talk and how it affects the sync speed

Could well be the cause. I will monitor it meantime and see what happens

I am currently within 3 months of end of contract and will be shopping around for the best deal. Quite happy with BT. Will see what comes along at the time

Thanks for your advice
0 Ratings