Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Eric5765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Smart Hub 1 - Net gone down, flashing orange light

Hi,

My FTTC net dropped today at around 12 - 1 today, which isn't uncommon in itself as I get disconnects a few times a week usually and I'm back on in a few mins, but this time it never came back up and my Smart hub is just flashing orange.

I tried the standard, going through all of the router troubleshooting (when it drops normally the reset username wizard often reports 'some adjustments have been made' and it comes back on instantly), full factory reset, swapping out the filter and cable with brand new ones and plugging into the test socket, full power cycle etc.

I finally called up and the lady on the phone was really helpful but said all of her tests came back fine and from what she could tell there was nothing wrong on their end.

What I thought odd is that the event log is basically empty, not sure if they actually show much but there isn't even any trace of the router attempting to connect to anything even if I manually tell it to connect so not sure if this is a red flag?

My gf has a masters assignment due Friday so it's a bit frustrating but an engineer is coming out Saturday to have a look.

I struggled to find much online regarding this but the lady on the phone said there would be an 80 odd quid charge if there was any damage within our property causing it - what does that constitute exactly? We have been living in this rented house for a year (it has been 1 year and 7 days since our BT activation date funnily enough) and the router has been in the same spot with no issues and very little activity around it so as far as I'm aware nothing has changed to cause any damage to anything, especially in the last few days as we dont touch the room the router lives in.

I don't have any other routers around but is there anything else I can try in the meantime or does this sound likely to be an external issue or an issue with the hub itself? I'm assuming the engineer would have a replacement or something or if that was the issue would I have to wait into next week to get one delivered?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Eric5765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Smart Hub 1 - Net gone down, flashing orange light

Sorry I think it's the home hub 6 based on pictures, the home hub and smart hub thing is confusing as I think this one is the first smart hub.

Took a pic of the event log on my PC as posting from my phone and can't see any way to attach: https://ibb.co/zPJZ51d

Hub has been up for an hour and as you can see no obvious attempt to connect or anything in the log, even when I manually press connect in the advanced settings so not sure if this signifies anything.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Do you have a dial tone on your landline?

0 Ratings
Eric5765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

That's the one thigg I couldn't test sadly as I haven't kept a landline for nearly 10 years. I need to pick up a cheapo one for this purpose.

Unless I'm mistaken one of the tests done by the lady on the phone would have covered this would it not? Or would this still rule out some other potentials?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

The tests carried out by the help desk are not conclusive, you need to test with a phone.
Message 6 of 9

Hi @Eric5765 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm so sorry to see your broadband went down yesterday I appreciate the inconvenience this can cause especially with your girlfriends assignment coming up.  

The flashing organge light usually means the Hub is trying to establish a connection so at this stage its hard to say if this is a line fault or a problem with the Hub but the advisor you spoke to would have been presented with questions in their diganostics which should have ruled out a faulty Hub. I think it would be best to allow the visit to go ahead on Saturday as it sounds like you have went through all the self help checks already. 

There may be a £85 charge if we send out an engineer to fix a fault or make an improvement, but it's free of charge if the problem is with our network outside the boundary of your premises.

You'll be charged if the problem is caused by things like:

• Your main socket, due to damage you've caused
  • Your home phone extension wiring
  • The way you've connected up your equipment
  • Interference from something else in your home, like your phone, alarm system, or a faulty microfilter
  • A faulty BT Hub that's out of warranty (your Hub is in warranty if you're in contract)
  • Damage caused by damp, flood, fire, or building work
  • Damage outside caused by things like broken guttering or trees
  • Telephone wires that have been accidently cut
Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Eric5765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the replies - Having already paid for a filter I decided I'd just wait for the engineer to come tomorrow and if we had to pay a charge so be it as long as the net was sorted out or we knew what was wrong.

Got home today and the internet was back up - Having a look at the router logs nothing out of the ordinary, then at 11:06am it just suddenly reconnected after sitting there connected to the test socket flashing orange for 2 days.

I can only assume this means the issue was likely external as literally nothing has changed since the OP and it has just sat there untouched, still can't find anything along the lines of any faults reported for my phone number/area...Would be nice to know why it went off but just glad it's back up

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Eric5765 

Thanks for posting back!

I am pleased to see that your connection is up again.  Not too sure what the issue was but I agree that it's likely to have been a network fault.

It's too late to cancel the engineer's appointment at this stage to be honest, the visit will go ahead.  Please post back and let us know how the engineer gets on tomorrow.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Eric5765 was the engineer able to find any problems with the connection today?

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings