cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Smart Hub 2 flashing purple but internet is working

Go to solution

Hello. I've been on fibre for 1 month now, upgraded from standard old broadband. I woke this morning to my Smart Hub 2 flashing purple, but the internet is fine and as fast as ever: I'm using it to post this request for advice.

It does cut out sometimes, I'd say once per week, usually in the evening, but it immediately comes back. This latest behaviour is new, though.

I work from home and am a little worried that this is a ticking time bomb issue, but I also feel weird phoning support when the thing works fine.

Has anyone heard of this before? Thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Smart Hub 2 flashing purple but internet is working

Go to solution

@hoggle1976 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. The line is completely silent.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@hoggle1976 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The line is completely silent.

What connection speed do you normally get, you can find this by logging into the home hub?

If you are a long distance from the cabinet, and get a slow speed, then your line may be picking up interference.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I don't seem to be able to get this information from my hub panel options, and get led into support wizards.

But a third party speed test shows 50.2 'very fast'. It's as fast as it usually is, and I've been having no problem using the internet this morning. But the thing is blinking purple constantly. I don't know when it started, but I woke to it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

You can get the connection information this way.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

It could be a bad connection somewhere, but that should show up on the connection information page.

Also see this page https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-can-t-connect/what-do-the-ligh...

Its worth checking your internal connections.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for all that.

My data rate is 9.995 Mbps / 54.998 Mbps, max 22.560 Mbps / 75.570 Mbps. As for other relevant information in there, I'd need guidance about what's relevant and how it might indicate what's wrong.

My socket type, in 2 in your posted image: Master Socket 5C.

I'm in a small studio flat, I'm not using extension leads, I only have the one socket, and my hub is plugged into a filter that's plugged into it. Any wiring from my flat down the short flight of stairs to the front door seems fine; no one has bashed into anything or pulled anything from where it usually is. The little Openreach grey box in the foyer is undamaged. All looks the same as when I went to bed last night.

Broadband cut out for 3 mins around 8pm, came back and was fine for a further 2 hours before I went to bed. Flashing purple all morning - and a chunk of the night - but internet is working.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks.

Please could you connect to the test socket as shown below, as those master sockets do suffer from poor connections.

Leave it connected like this, and see if you still get the flashing light.

NTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I took the faceplace off (lower) and there is no test socket. I plugged back in and now Hub is solid blue. I have no clue what is going on with it. I have been able to use the internet all morning, with it flashing purple for at least 5 hours.

Since it's blue now, I guess I could say 'solved!'(?)

Many thanks for all the help. Much appreciated. It seems to have fixed itself, for now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@hoggle1976 wrote:

I took the faceplace off (lower) and there is no test socket. I plugged back in and now Hub is solid blue. I have no clue what is going on with it. I have been able to use the internet all morning, with it flashing purple for at least 5 hours.

Since it's blue now, I guess I could say 'solved!'(?)

Many thanks for all the help. Much appreciated. It seems to have fixed itself, for now.

There has to be a test socket, if that is the master socket you have said. When you removed the bottom section, there was a flat plug at the back, which plugged into the test socket. If that was not there, it simply would not work.

The NTE5C front section simply clips on, and sometimes it does not make good contact with the test socket if its not seated properly. When you clipped the bottom section back on again, its now making better contact, but you need to be aware that the problem may re-occur.

0 Ratings