cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuartgoble
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Smart Hub 6 - Second one faulty

So having been suggested by BT that resigning for another 12 months and getting a new SmartHub 6 would be a great idea.  I'm now on my second dead one and BT are sending a third.

Where the HH5 had worked faultlessly for years, the SH6 seems to drop it's broadband after about 18-24 hours and never recover no matter how many times one resets the hub.

Also have issues with WiFi devices and the Sonus when it was working and had to tweak the WiFi settings somewhat to get anywhere near it.

So I'm now wondering why (a) I bothered re0signing for another 12 months and (b) why the SmartHub was such a good idea when their obviously flawed in some way.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
spahwa
Message 2 of 15

Re: Smart Hub 6 - Second one faulty

I bought the HomeHub 6 by paying 50 pounds.  And have a terrible experience.  The Hub kept rebooting every 10 minites or so - and I had only changes one setting to separate out the 24Ghz and 50 bands.   

Having done a reset and using the default settings, it is still rebooting every hour or so.  Had no such issues with HH 5.  Help desk is useless, they can see that there is a problem but have noidea what to do about it.

I am sending it back and requesting a refund. I would stay away from HH6 for the time being. When T infinity works it is great, when it doesnt, the support is awful.

S

0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

Did you try turning smart set up off:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Also did you change the modes on the hub to see if it will make a difference:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56287/~/what-is-the-wireless-mode-feature-on-my-bt-sm...

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why replace the HH5 if it was working!

0 Ratings
spahwa
Message 5 of 15

My only driver was to extend the wifi range as HH6 is supposed to have increased that range. Hope others wont make the same mistake.
0 Ratings
stuartgoble
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Likewise.  I also paid £50.00 for a new originally in the hope it would improve my WiFi performance.  That one has now gone back and I hope I'll get a refund.  But in order to progress the fault I had to sign up for another 12 months of service.

0 Ratings
stuartgoble
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

I don't think the WiFi modes have any impact on the VDSL link bouncing all the time.  I'm not sure whether this is a software issue with the SH6 or some incompatibility with the DSLAM in my street cabinet.  Either way, the HH5 is stable and the SH6 keeps rebooting and/or crashing.

0 Ratings
stuartgoble
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Further update after a disapointing two hours spent on the phone with BT Customer Complaints.  THey had tried to offer me a replacement HH5 as an alternative.  When I suggested that my own HH5 was working fine, they tried to close the complaint!

Anyway, third SmartHub duly arrived, was plugged in and failed in about 20 hours.  There is obviously either something fundementally wrong with this product, which is unlikely given others I know are using them without issue.  Or more likely, there is something fundementally incompatible between the DSLAM and my associated profile in the street cabinet and the SH6.  Looking at the street cabinet it's one of the slim ones which would suggest it's an ECI one not Huawei, so has anyone else got this issue and can take a look at which street cabinet type their on??

Come on BT what ever happend to the extensive end point device testing that you used to do at Adastral Park in Martlesham.  This shouldn't have got to market with this kind of problem.

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 9 of 15

i too have  2 smarthubs both are not working so give up and gone back to hub 5 and hg612 and broadband is amazing again,i paid £50 for hub and am very dissapointed in it,hub was fine before latest update but that has broke the wifi.no 2.4 ghz only 5 ghz so i just give up.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 15

**bleep** mobile!
Why anyone would pay good money for ISP supplied equipment is beyond me and beggars belief!

Buy decent third party equipment.
0 Ratings