Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnww
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 35

Smart Hub Disconnecting and Loss of Speed Issues

Go to solution

Hello. I have been on my current BT Infinity 1 plan for a year now and have had good service and no major problems until the middle of last month.

My Smart Hub disconnects 20+ times per day going from solid blue to flashing orange to solid orange then back to solid blue.

It will reconnect for anywhere between 20 minutes to 4 hours before disconnecting again. At its worst it will reconnect for ten minutes before going again 5-10 times which added together drains a good couple of hours of fruitless effort per day.

My speeds have gone from a solid 30-40+ down 5-10 up to 5 -8 down and 0.25-1 up. (via Ookla).

I have telephoned BT 3 times and each time I have been told there is nothing wrong their end and it must have something to do with one of my devices. I have since disconnected all devices for a day and the Smart Hub still disconnects the same amount. Even penning this post has gone through 2 disconnects. There hasn't been a day in the past 3 weeks where this hasn't occurred at least 10 times let alone not at all.

I have done the 17070 option 2 quiet test and there is no noise on the line. I have factory resetted the router 10+ days ago. Smart Hub is connected to the master socket. This occurs on both wired and wireless connections.

dsl checker.png 

hh6 technical log 1.png

hh6 technical log 2.png

bt diagnostics.png

troubleshooter.png

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 35

Re: Smart Hub Disconnecting and Loss of Speed Issues

Go to solution

Your "solid" 30-40+ was indicative of a problem to begin with the notsoSmart hub has likely "eggs **bleep** er pasted" the problem.

Try a connection to the test socket with filter and a quiet line test with a corded phone 17070 option 2, there should be no noise.

0 Ratings
johnww
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 35

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

Your "solid" 30-40+ was indicative of a problem to begin with the notsoSmart hub has likely "eggs **bleep** er pasted" the problem.

Haha what?!

@pippincp wrote:

Try a connection to the test socket with filter and a quiet line test with a corded phone 17070 option 2, there should be no noise.

How do I do that?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution
how do you do what ?
0 Ratings
johnww
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution

The test socket part

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

this is the test socket 

Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
johnww
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution

ffilter.png

I didn't get any filters with the Smart Hub but have got this one still from a few years ago. Is this ok for this purpose?

0 Ratings
johnww
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution
I have tried the quiet test in the test socket with the above filter and there is no noise. Had dozens of disconnects overnight and today.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution
You need an engineer visit
0 Ratings
johnww
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution
So what's my next move? I have already called the call centres 3 times and they won't send an engineer out because they can't see anything wrong with my connection when they do their tests on my line from their end.
0 Ratings