cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Smart Hub Disconnecting and Loss of Speed Issues

hi all. i've been looking around for a solution to a possible similar thing.

My smarthub has disconnected twice today follwing an engineer visit last week.

before the engineer we were getting 20 of the 35 we pay for, then after it was 44, so happy right?

after the hubs disconeected both times we've struggled to get 20 from it. 

ran the diagnostics and its told me to reset the router which i did, turned it back on and low and behold we're back to over 40.

The connections only jsut started dropping out on the hub but after reading this i'm concerned this could go on for a while.
as its post disconnect that we're getting 20ish, could it be the hub being unable to cope with a disconnect?

all part of a longer process but i'm happy to provide the fault numbers etc if theyre needed.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 34

Re: Smart Hub Disconnecting and Loss of Speed Issues

Any noise on your line? 17070 option 2.

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 34

we don't have a phone to connect to the landline, always worked on mobiles. the engineer last week said there was no noise on the line, no problems between the street cab and our house, no problem between the exchange and the house. he replaced the front on the openreach master hub, which we're cabled into, then the speed jumped up from 32 to 47 at the time.
the devices we use for the most part are cabled direct to the hub, his belief was that there was an issue with the socket to hub connection as there is no disconnect from the greater infrastructure to the house and the replacement of the facing seemed to make things significantly better in the short term.
concerned now about the hub dropping in an out and halving the speed when it does

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 34

You will need to test for noise using a phone, as noise on your line will cause dropouts.

Buy a cheap (less than £10) wired phone to run a check.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 34

got hold of a phone. found some static as it went through. almost sounds like interspersed rain on a car window as you're driving (driver by trade) at times. its not constant though.

also hub disconnected this morning at the same time as yesterday and dropped my speeds right back again
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 34

It really should be quiet, so it could indicate ther is a bad connection somewhere.

Disconnections at the same time are normally caused by electrical interference.

You need to check it at the test socket, to make sure that the problem is not caused by your own wiring.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Master socket with one socket

Or

Master socket with two sockets

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 34

its the one on the bottom left. used that socket for the test
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 34

@nperkins wrote:
its the one on the bottom left. used that socket for the test

Did you remove the cover, and use the test socket behind it, by connecting a microfilter into it, to see if you still get the disconnections and noise on the phone?

Similar to this.

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 34

just ran that through the direct socket, no noise.
seems odd to have disconnected at the same time of the morning both days though
0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 34

after having to disconnect the front (and obviously the router as well) its bringing me back low 40s, which is goo. my guess is that in little over an hour the hub will reset again
0 Ratings