Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 34

Re: Smart Hub Disconnecting and Loss of Speed Issues

@nperkins wrote:
after having to disconnect the front (and obviously the router as well) its bringing me back low 40s, which is goo. my guess is that in little over an hour the hub will reset again

Can you leave it connected to the test socket and see if you still get the problem?

If its the same time every day, is there anything that switched on at that time, like a central heating boiler?

Its quite common for a bad connection to occur between the filtered faceplate, and the test socket. That can create noise.

Oxidisation occurs which can affect the line performance. This can usually be cleared by using a contact cleaner spray like Servisol Super 10, which is very effective in removing this oxidisation.

Do you have any other phone extension sockets?

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 34

theres no extensions connected. if I leave the phone connected to the test socket, wont that kick me off the net altogether?
the faceplacte was fit less than 2 weeks ago, so there shouldn't be any oxidisation there already surely.
nothing switches on in the house at the times we lose the hub.
the noise was only for a while and then cleared up. just seems to be almost a 'pulse' that knocks out the hub at the same time every day, maybe creates a bit of noise and then gone.
once the noise was gone the first time though the speeds didn't pick back up. they've recovered since the hub was completely disconnected, and obviously not connected for the time I ran the test socket test
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 34

You need to connect a microfilter to the test socket, as shown on my diagram. Then plug the phone and home hub into that microfilter. That will keep the home hub working.

Did you fit the faceplate yourself, as that type is not normally fitted by Openreach, they fit a new socket where the faceplate is simply held in place by clips?

That type is the lower right hand one on my list of master sockets.

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 34

no openreach fit it for me.
still no noise on the test and speed is still around the 40mark which is right where it should be
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 34

@nperkins wrote:
no openreach fit it for me.
still no noise on the test and speed is still around the 40mark which is right where it should be

Are you sure you do not have a master socket where the bottom section is just held on by clips?

Its possible that there may simply be a bad contact between the front and the back?

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 34

its an openreach mk4?
net on left, phone right, curved top. one clip either side that attach it to the box, but its the whole front that comes off
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 34

@nperkins wrote:
its an openreach mk4?
net on left, phone right, curved top. one clip either side that attach it to the box, but its the whole front that comes off

That was not the one you mentioned on my image showing the list of sockets. You showed the one with the screw connections at the front, which is what confused me.

Two possibilities.

Either the front filter plate is faulty - possible but not likely.

The front was not making good contact with the back if it was not fully clipped in place - most likely.

All you can do for the moment, is to leave it connected using a microfilter for 24 hours, and see if you still get the disconnections.

If the connection is fine, then replace the filtered faceplate and see if the disconnections and noise come back again. If they do, then that front faceplate is faulty.

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 34

ill watch it for the rest of the week, give it a fair shot, and see what happens. thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 34

@nperkins wrote:
ill watch it for the rest of the week, give it a fair shot, and see what happens. thanks

If you can please update this thread with the results, it would help.

If there was a bad connection, then someone walking near the socket at that time of the day, could easily cause it to disconnect. Clip on covers are not really a good idea in my opinion.

0 Ratings
nperkins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 34

so I've given it a week near enough.
with the faceplate off we havnet had as many disconnections and they don't seem to have been at set times in the day (although with the holidays I could have missed them)
I have noticed though that after it disconnects it still drops us back to 20-25mbps.
At the weekend i did a factory reset on the hub, and as far as i know we've not seemed to disconnect.

as i'm typing this i'm running a quiet line test again as i've left the phone hooked up (working from the test socket). theres some low level static, and i'm sure i've just heard a traditional style ring, the 'bring bring' almost sounding one so we could have some intermitant background noise, though the openreach engineer didnt detect any.

its worth noting that i had the message from BT after they had been asking me to confirm or deny if it had been resolved, but the message was at a rate that i was going to get charged for. As there is already a complaint in about the whole ordeal i've had (which i wont go into details here) i was hoping they would get back to me.

0 Ratings