cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Smart Hub solid green Light

We had a total loss of broadband in the Pontypool area and since then my router has not booted back up staying on a solid green light I have tried power cycling left it off all night and tried again this morning have also tried the factory reset which has done nothing. Have I got the green light of death if so can I request a new router as only had this since July so not best pleased with it, plus speeds were always on the lower side of the estimated speed range I was told that it would be better than Talktalk but so far is has been the same.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Smart Hub solid green Light

does your phone work?

if you have done a factory reset by holding recessed button on back until lights flash and still the same then phone CS and asked for replacement

as TT, BT and all other ISPs apart from virgin use the openreach network I would expect your speed to be similar whichever ISP you choose

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Hi yeah land-line is working fine. Held the reset button in for 20 seconds nothing so held it for around 2 minutes and no flash of the green light I'm going to buy a third party modem /router toady to get me by until Bt can send a replacement. Not good as this has only lasted since July. Upon reading other posts the solid green light of death is common as well as having to separate the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi frequencies which work fine together on the other routers on my network. Seems like the smatrhub/homehub 6 isn't all its cracked up to be.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I use a smart hub and have since their inception and don't have any problems   only people with problems post on the forum not people who want to say hub works ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I have seen that solid light issue reported before. Try a third party router, but don`t pay too much money, as you can get one for less than £40 locally. It will prove whether it is a home hub fault, and can be kept as a spare, or returned when BT send you another home hub.

Make sure its a VDSL one, eg TP-Link TD-W9970, otherwise it will not work, as there are a lot of wireless routers that are advertised as working with fibre, but they omit to mention that you need a modem as well.

When you checked you phone line, did you make sure it was the correct phone number, as you could have a crossed line?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I understand where you are coming from it's just my experience so far isn't that good wifi issues, now a dead router 😞 speed could be better as use to get around 17 Mbps unstable drops to 12Mbps on talktalk and now 14Mbps stable on Bt. Top should be 21Mbps and lowest is 14Mbps so would like a little boost.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Yeah used phone to call mobile all is sound there. Was going to get a net gear nighthawk or equivalent Asus and use the Bt smart Hub as the back up.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Sounds like you need a replacement Hub. Ring CS (Customer Service), as imjolly said, and ask for one (assuming you're still in contract, otherwise you'll have to pay). Once that has been done, then we can start working out what's causing the speed/instability issues.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@Melissa_james wrote:
Yeah used phone to call mobile all is sound there. Was going to get a net gear nighthawk or equivalent Asus and use the Bt smart Hub as the back up.

The Netgear Nighthawk is only a wireless router, you cannot use it on VDSL without buying a modem as well. That is why I gave you that warning on my last post, its a very common mistake people make.

You need a VDSL/ADSL  combined modem/router, not a wireless router.

As you may be entitled to a replacement home hub as @Techwizz has said, I would not be inclined to spend a lot of money, just to prove where the fault is.

I assume you are on VDSL, as you have posted on the fibre board? Your speed seems quite low for VDSL, but you may be quite a distance from the cabinet.