Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 56

Smart hub keeps restarting

Hi,

I just signed up with Infinity 2 and BT TV. Since the beginning the smart hub has been resetting. I had a quick look in the logs but don't really know what I'm looking for. One odd thing was that it logged a power button reset, but I haven't touched it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian
0 Ratings
55 REPLIES 55
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 56

Re: Smart hub keeps restarting

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post your full Router Stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 56

I would suggest you try one factory reset using the factory reset button at the rear of the hub holding it in for 20 seconds this resolves many hub problems
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 56

Thanks for the responses guys. Below are my stats for the standard (non-test) socket. It's a standard faceplate with filter. I have BT TV box plugged in via the ethernet but nothing else. Unfortunately I don't have a phone to do the quiet line test or a screwdriver to use the test socket. I'll hopefully sort those out soon and post the results. Also I haven't yet done a factory reset but I'll give that a go at some point.

Thanks,

Zobbo

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+088044+1712002151
Firmware version:v0.09.03.07171-BT
Firmware updated:unknown
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 days,08 Hours20 Mins20 Secs
Data rate:13.763 Mbps / 60.152 Mbps
Maximum data rate:13.723 Mbps / 60.461 Mbps
Noise margin:6.1 / 6.0
Line attenuation:28.9 / 21.2
Signal attenuation:28.7 / 20.3
Data sent / received:39.6 MB / 722.0 MB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-86NQ
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-86NQ
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:48:8D:36:0E:BD:3B
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 56

@zobbo wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have a phone to do the quiet line test

See Why do I need a landline phone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 56

Yeah I'll need to get one. I did originally order one because the mobile phone signal here is dodgy, but BT cocked up my order and when I re-ordered I forgot about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 56

Your stats show connection time of 8 hrs but your stats look ok with noise margin about normal 6db and speed about attainable with numerous drops in connections this would normally show a higher noise margin and lower speed

how often is router resetting/dropping connection?  It is internet connection and not wireless connection that is dropping

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 56

The problem is the router is restarting randomly. When the connection drops I check the router and the light is orange. My BT TV box also complains and that's connected via ethernet cable. It seems to do it quite often, sometimes every other day. Sometimes it seems more stable, I won't see a restart for a few days but it maybe resetting when I'm at work, I'll need to check the logs more often.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 56

Then it is probably caused by noise on the line, or a high resistance joint.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 56

Certainly need to do quiet line test and check for noise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings