Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bathsheba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

SmartHub6 Dropping regularly since April

Go to solution

Not sure where to go with this.

I hoped the recent firmware upgrade might be the magic bullet, but the problem goes on.    Regular dropouts, and speed below the minum guaranteed.

My old Hub3 mainly worked fine for years, but the modem got fried/fused in April, and the only option was a new contract with the latest Hub, so I went with that.     A few days later the problems started, and have not gone away.

At the beginning there was an engineer visit, who renewed all the connections he could find between the outside line and the internal filters, faceplates, etc.    (Previous stuff was several years old from first fibre adoption).    Longest I go between repeated dropouts is about 10 days, and the speed is below the minimum guaranteed  ( I am about 600m from cabinet).

About 5% of the faults I have tried to raise actually appear on my faults page, and they only appear after they have been closed, so I cannot actively track any action.   They are all closed as 'problem resolved'.

In the days when I tried onlinechat, or phoning in a fault, I regularly heard that they 'could see a problem' but never could tell me what it was.    I have often been told 'the problem is fixed' but never what was done to fix it.   If I log a complaint, it gets closed.   There are two techniques for this.   One is that someone phones and says 'I have phoned you, so I will close the complaint'.   The other is that they start phoning at a different time to when requested, so I am at work and cannot take the call.   

To keep a record of faults logged, I started a complaint by email, so I get some response.   The first one is now overdue.

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
bathsheba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: SmartHub6 Dropping regularly since April

Go to solution

And my son has been home for the summer, so is potentailly online most of the day.   He advised the problem is worse than I thought ( I normally only get to see it fail in the evenings)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @bathsheba and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. When the connection drops do the hub lights change color? Can you try running a speed test including the further diagnostics and post the results? Can you also try a quiet line test by connecting the phone directly to the test socket and dialling 17070 option 2?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
bathsheba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi David,

Thanks for the help. My current job has such long hours that I have found it difficult to get to this, but a recent spate of repeated disconnections forced me to address it.

Yes, the lights always change when he disconnections occur, so generally I see reds, oranges, and greens (not necessarily in that order) before the blue returns.

Following 5 hours of problems today experienced by my son, I phoned the help line who assumed a filter problem because of the indeterminate location of the fault. A new filter is being sent, although the 'old' one was new last April.

However, this prompted me to try the quiet line test and I found one obvious problem. Previously the phone line was becoming clearly noisy, and a newish phone had stopped working on the normal connection. When I removed the faceplate, I found that the engineer who upgraded my service last April had connected the internal line I gave her (which connects the socket to all the other phone points in the house) not to the faceplate but to some internal connection.    To draw a clean break with the past months, I removed the connection wire, and replaced the faceplate. So I now have * no * internal connections in the house, only the one 5C socket new last April.   The quiet phone test came back quiet.    The good news is that the phone line is now quiet, and even the phone that would not work before is now working.

The bad news is that, after switching off the hub for a minute before reconnecting, the speed has not improved and is still showing around 40 down, 5 up.    The diagnostics were also showing a line fault outside the property.   I thought perhaps the speed might now improve over time if I had actually solved the problem.

But of course around 5 minutes ago I got another disconnection.        When I tried running diagnostics again it somehow defaulted to telling me to position the wifi in the middle of the house and nothing else.      Of course, I am connected to the hub by lan cable.

Going forward I will await the new filter - without much hope - and will not reconnect the wire.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Can you post your connection stats from the hub? (How to HERE)

Did you try connecting to the test socket as you don't make that clear in your post.

bathsheba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the help,

I used the test socket for the first quiet line test, and got a quiet line  (This was after removing the connecting wire to the rest of the house),

Here are router logs:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ70368818

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

10-Jan-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 20 Hours 47 Minutes 3 Seconds

Data rate:

8.50 Mbps / 44.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

10811 / 53095

Noise margin:

7.3 dB / 8.4 dB

Line attenuation:

20.2 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

4678 MB Uploaded / 27414 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-Z8PG

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-Z8PG-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

A4:08:F5:8B:6F:27

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Thanks & regards

Barry

0 Ratings
bathsheba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The filter arrived today, but is an ADSL filter (so I have not used it).

Tried a new speed test, and was slightly faster than i have seen for some time.

New stats from hub:

Data rate:

8.90 Mbps / 46.48 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

8896 / 55674

Noise margin:

6.2 dB / 5.9 dB

Line attenuation:

20.2 dB

Signal attenuation:

Is it significant that I do not get any figures for Signal attenuation ?

Thanks

Barry
0 Ratings
bathsheba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Just to be clear here.

I have not used the ADSL filter as I am assuming I cannot mix ADSL Modem socket and SmartHub6 -  but is this correct ?

Apologies, I made a mistake earlier - my faceplate is not 5C, but is  OpenReach NTE5C SSFP  or thereabouts.  It has an OpenReach logo on it, and opens without screws by depressing some tabs.

Or should I be removing the 5C faceplate, and plugging the new filter into the Test Socket, and than the phone and smarthub into the adsl filter sockets ?

I reran the troubleshooting script, but decided i did not want to follow the suggestion to turn off the smarthub again to reconnect to the exchange as i did that last night.   Not sure if I should simply leave it a few days or week, and see if line improves?

t&r

Barry

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Yes, just connect the filter to the test socket and connect hub and phone to the filter.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@bathsheba wrote:

Just to be clear here.

I have not used the ADSL filter as I am assuming I cannot mix ADSL Modem socket and SmartHub6 -  but is this correct ?

Apologies, I made a mistake earlier - my faceplate is not 5C, but is  OpenReach NTE5C SSFP  or thereabouts.  It has an OpenReach logo on it, and opens without screws by depressing some tabs.

Or should I be removing the 5C faceplate, and plugging the new filter into the Test Socket, and than the phone and smarthub into the adsl filter sockets ?

I reran the troubleshooting script, but decided i did not want to follow the suggestion to turn off the smarthub again to reconnect to the exchange as i did that last night.   Not sure if I should simply leave it a few days or week, and see if line improves?

t&r

Barry

The filters are the same for ADSL and VDSL.