Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nduli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Smarthub issues - mod help needed

Go to solution

guys

could do with some help. my 7th smarthub has just given me the orange light of death. rebooted it, reset it and still the same issue.

i'd get back onto the chat to discuss but we'll go through the same old dance, run the checks, confirm its not working, offer to send me a HH5, I refuse as i want the extra reach the hh6 gives me.

i've been going through them on average of 1 a week over the last 5 weeks. As soon as i plug my hh5 in i get a decent connection again. i know there are issues with the HH6 but i can't be so uynlucky as getting almost all ther broken ones in a batch.

is it time for an engineer visit?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Smarthub issues - mod help needed

Go to solution
nothing an engineer can do you would be better off using your hub 5
0 Ratings
nduli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

i take your point but i've paid for a hh6 and want the extra wifi strength....

is it just my bad luck with smarthubs?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
wireless power is strictly limited and is the same on every router the best type of router are the ones with external aerials there are many posts on the hub6 and its many problems
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @nduli and thanks for posting.

Having received 7 hubs doesn't sound good at all. I think we'll need to take a closer look at things for you. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@nduli wrote:

In the UK, wireless router power output is limited to 100mW, so, as @john46 has said, to get the maximum ERP (Effective Radiated Power), you need multiple external aerials.

All of the home hubs from the HH2 onwards, use internal aerials, as it looks better. Consequently there has to be a compromise. The HH6 tries to do whatever it can with multiple internal aerials, the same as the HH5, but its never going to be as effective as multiple external aerials as used on third party routers.

Some people do find a slight improvement in the HH6 compared to the HH5, but its very subjective, and it depend on the location of the HH6.

0 Ratings
nduli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@nduli wrote:

In the UK, wireless router power output is limited to 100mW, so, as @john46 has said, to get the maximum ERP (Effective Radiated Power), you need multiple external aerials.

All of the home hubs from the HH2 onwards, use internal aerials, as it looks better. Consequently there has to be a compromise. The HH6 tries to do whatever it can with multiple internal aerials, the same as the HH5, but its never going to be as effective as multiple external aerials as used on third party routers.

Some people do find a slight improvement in the HH6 compared to the HH5, but its very subjective, and it depend on the location of the HH6.

thanks, understand now. i have started researching alternates. i have a new hh6 on order. if this one dies and the help from the mods doesn't get me anywhere with why they maybe dying with alarming regularity i'll ask for a refund and go get a box with the external aerials.

0 Ratings
nduli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hoping the kind chap called John who has been helping me with the issues i am having is monitoring this thread.

As per conv. yesterday John - I've received the new hub today. won't plug it in but if we coud try the next set of stuff before Tuesday it would be helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@nduli I'll pass on the message to @JohnC2

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@nduli wrote:

Hoping the kind chap called John who has been helping me with the issues i am having is monitoring this thread.

As per conv. yesterday John - I've received the new hub today. won't plug it in but if we coud try the next set of stuff before Tuesday it would be helpful.

Care to share what the "next set of stuff" is with the community or is it a secret?

0 Ratings