cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Guru
Message 11 of 15

Re: Sorry, but it's another 'When can I get super-fast broadband? I want it NOW!' thread...

Mickled,

Dim problem.

The clue was that the cabinet wasn't included in the Openreach Commercial Fibre rollout scheme, and that most of the fibre rollout in Wales is now being done under the Superfast Cymru BDUK programme.

Plus it states this on the Superfast-Cymru website: Barry - This exchange is fibre enabled under BT’s commercial rollout. the first cabinets are live at the exchange and service is available in parts of the exchange area. Contact a communications provider to check if Superfast broadband is available to your property. Other providers may also have enabled a fibre service in this area. There is further fibre deployment planned for this exchange as part of the Superfast Cymru project commencing March 2014.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Mickled
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 15

Re: Sorry, but it's another 'When can I get super-fast broadband? I want it NOW!' thread...

Turns out you were spot on, jac. Delightfully, I received a very prompt response from superfast cymru:

Good morning Mr *Redacted*,

Thanks for your email! You are correct, this cabinet will be deployed under our Superfast-cymru programme! However, although the cab is in situ, we are encountering a number of blockage issues that we are currently trying to resolve.

It is difficult to give a specific date because of the engineering complexities of deploying fibre cabinets. It involves not only provision of fibre, but availability of power connections, planning consent for the cabinet itself in some cases, road closures, traffic management permissions and space within our duct network to make the necessary connections.

In a small number of cases we encounter problems which can significantly delay the cabinet, and take time to resolve. In the vast majority of cases these delays are caused by either power provision and local planning permission. We work closely with the power companies and local authorities to minimise such delays.

We would not want to give you a date only for it to change causing disappointment and frustration. It is also worth pointing out that the work on the cab you refer to is very much in it's infancy so there are many steps needed to complete before it will start to be accepting orders. You may (if not already done so) register with us at www.superfast-cymru.com Not only will we send you monthly newsletters on our progress across Wales, we will also e-shot you as and when your cab starts to accept orders.

Really sorry I can't give you the date information you are looking for, however, if you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to come back to me.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

/END

Not the answer I was hoping for (looks like it's a long way off yet), but they were actually pretty honest and as helpful as I imagine they can be (despite a good chunk of generic fluff). Guess I'll have to sit and wait patiently!

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 13 of 15

Hi Mikled,

Although it may have not been what you were hoping for it looks like you got a very quick and precise answer.  It's a shame other BDUK schemes are no so conscientious.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Mickled
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 15

Yep, I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and nature of the response - very good service indeed. I had a reply from a named invidual who was helpful and informative. The same named invidiual even replied to my thank-you e-mail (within an hour!) wishing me a great weekend. I have every confidence of a prompt and helpful response should I need to contact them again - and that level of service is VERY difficult to come by these days. Top marks for Superfast Cymru!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
gravy1
Contributor
Message 15 of 15

not sure if it might help but.... the cabinet close to me was online but bt said they were not connecting for months... but on bt's website a pop up kept asking me if I wanted to be kept informed (or register interest) about infinity and asked my address... I may have accidentally filled this in for most of the local community using my street numbers instead of mine 😉 after 100 times of visiting the site and shortly after that I got infinity 2 at 76mb/ 19mb although it has regularly dropped and is running around 40mb/ 8mb now but it's great the first 10 months.  

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
0 Ratings