cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The_Bin_Man
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Sorry, more dropped Infinity connections.....

Go to solution

I'm just wondering what BT might suggest next with this......

For several months now my BT Infinity connection has been disconnecting and reconnecting several times each day.  It took a while for BT Support over the phone to take this seriously after which they: (1) Carried out tests and resets from their side without any success; (2) Replaced the Hub6(TypeA) with another Hub6 (TypeA) without any success and (3) Sent a BT engineer to my home who could find no issues but as a matter of course replaced the two phone sockets in my home with the latest NTE5C models and following a conversation with another BT dept who could see the number of disconnections I had experienced did connect me to something different at the cabinet.

However, nothing has changed, I still experience 4 connection losses each day, some always at the same time.  For example with a minute or so the connection will always drop at 06:30h and increasingly at 16:30h too.

I'm due a follow up call from last weeks engineer visit this Thursday.  Is there anything else that can be done??

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Sorry, more dropped Infinity connections.....

Go to solution
Try a third party router. They can be had for as little as 30 quid.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
The_Bin_Man
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
I have an alternative router in the form of an Apple Time Capsule.

Any suggestions for a modem only?
0 Ratings
The_Bin_Man
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
Perhaps a BT Openreach modem?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
They still get good reviews however, many are a number of years old so may start under performing.

You can get a TP Link N300 for about £30 from a local catalogue store.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
The_Bin_Man
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

It's been a week now since BT Engineer visit and BT Level2 support followed up today on my connection problems.

I'm immediately told everything is ok now and they would like to close the call.  I ask how can it be okay when I continue to have an average of 3 dropouts each day and an average connection period of 7hrs 15min.  

"This is normal", she says. "The line will test itself each day, nothing I can do", she continues.  "You should just use wired connections and not wi-fi".  I struggling to believe what I am hearing now!!

Until a few months ago I wasn't having these problems so I don't really believe her story.

Can a BT Mod offer any guidance here please?  I've been told BT Wholesale will look again and Level2 will contact me again next week.

It could well be just the hub but I don't see why I should pay for a third party hub, no matter how cheap, when I'm paying for a service that should have equipment that works.

Here are some stats:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+XXXXXXXXXX

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

31-Aug-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 4 Hours 53 Minutes 18 Seconds

Data rate:

7.98 Mbps / 34.15 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

8186 / 40981

Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 6.2 dB

Line attenuation:

22.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

110624 MB Uploaded / 143920 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-XXXX

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-XXXX

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

84:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
The_Bin_Man
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

and this......

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number 0XXXXXXXXXX on Exchange XXXXXXXXXXX is served by Cabinet 6

VDSL Range A (Clean)43.732.48.45.930Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)34.517.47.84.313.1Available----Yes--
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--6 to 8Available------Yes
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 16 to 8Available------Yes
ADSL MaxUp to 7--6 to 8Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available------Yes
Fixed Rate2 ----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
Bridge TapN       
VRIN       
NTEFaceplateN       
Last Test Date20-05-2017       

0 Ratings
The_Bin_Man
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

BT sent a second Openreach engineer to my home but still no joy in resolving the issue.

BT are now going to send a 'Fibre Expert' to my home for a more detailed investigation.

Yesterday, I connect my old Hub5, suspecting the router could be at fault.  However once again disconnections again and at very similar times to Hub6 so I can rule out the hub as at fault here.

I'm now suspecting something in my house is causing this.  Been reading about REIN and SHINE!  Has anyone ever found SKY+ HD boxes to be a cause for a dropped connection?  I have two such boxes that are wirelessly connected, including the phone line which instead of using a hard wire connection uses wifi data to whatever SKY do when they remotely access your box.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Not heard of any issue with the Sky boxes but who knows?

You seemed ready to purchase an Openreach modem (about £25) but don't want to spend a little bit extra for a more update solution.

Personally I've never used ISP supplied equipment other that a modem as all of them are cheap and tacky in a platic box that looks trendy. (if you like cheap and tacky).

Pehaps it's because I want a rouer that does what I want it to do rather than what the ISP thinks I want. One size never "fits all".

Your choice though. I suppose you'll have to wait for the "fibre expert". AFAIK they are actually called Broadband Boost engineers, but what's in a name.

0 Ratings
The_Bin_Man
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
The last BT engineer told me not to bother with the old Openreach modems. Lots of problems he said.
0 Ratings