cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Speed Comparison

This may be of interest to some but had some time this afternoon and thought I'd compare the speeds from my current setup which is an ECI Modem to a Smart Hub with a Smart Hub on it's own and a Smart Hub 2 on it's own.

Here are the speeds I'm supposed to get and the speeds I achieved with each device. There are a couple of oddities that I'm curious about. 

The SH2 lists my connection as GFast which I most certainly don't have, and the line attenuation changes quite significantly between the SH and the SH2.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Speed Comparison

No idea why it reports your line as G.Fast, however, it might explain why the line attenuation figure varies. Obviously your actual line attenuation itself doesn't vary as that is determined by the laws of physics and is a meaningless figure unless quantified by the frequency of the signal used to calculate the attenuation. I suspect the figure is an average of the whole frequency spectrum in use and thus will be a wider spectrum for G.Fast capable devices.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Looking at stats there is not a great deal of difference but the results are all low compared to dslchecker connection speed range.  Are you using the test socket with a filter to see if you can get speed into checker range

i did notice a significant difference in attenuation with my sh2  initially but then my firmware was updated and they my attenuation was back to 'normal' as reported by previous routers including sh1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

No I understand the line physically hasn't changed just found it curious how two devices which are seemingly very similar could generate two wildly different figures.

All the tests were done throught the test socket.

I've never achieved even close to 50Mbps. I've had engineers round who have all said the line is fine etc. A couple of them (the helpful ones) actually stated it could be my drop wire isn't in great condition as it's very thick copper and could be starting to break in places.

Not sure how true it is as there's no real noise on the line that I can hear or they can find. None of the engineers have ever gone up the pole to check the speed from the cabinet to the top of the pole though, even though it's just behind my house and they can walk out my back gate to it and park on my drive.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Were they Openreach engineers or BT's cheap Qube ones who cant touch any Openreach equipment. i.e. only come to see if you've connected everything up correctly?

Thicker copper wire has less signal drop but even from the years of GPO no-one be it BT or Openreach since separation has ever increased the thickness of the wire. There was a period where aluminium wire was used.

What you have to remember when doing speed tests is that they are only snapshots of the line at that time and you can't test all at the same time.

Don't get me wrong I'm certainly not defending the hub of whatever number it is. I'm a long term advocate of ISP's just supplying a modem for the connection and if the customer needs more then the customer gets their own.

I abhor ISP supplied (BT or whoever) hubs and their "One size fits all" methedology. I want full control of my network not be hampered by a cheap router with hogtied firmware that does not give me full control and allows ISP access!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Pretty sure the ones who mentioned the cable were actually Openreach engineers as they did work on the cabinet and a couple of bits in between.
Well I say it's copper but can't 100% sure as I was looking over the engineers shoulder but it looked like copper. Probably 1mm in diameter I'd say.
I know it's only a single pair the runs from the pole though it's not a multicoloured with a pair of pairs.

I use an OR modem and the SH as I find the wifi on the SH to be great for it's size and where I have it situated.
OR modem gets a higher up stream connection speed than the OR engineers tester did.
0 Ratings