cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christarry85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Speed Drop & Increase in Noise Margin / SNR

Over the last four weeks, my Infinty 1 has dropped at least once a day and over this period of time lost over 10mbps speed.

This seems to conincidentally coincide with a large amount of Openreach activity in our village.

The SNR and noise margin seem to have increased over this time, but I haven't been tracking them in a huge amount of detail.

I have tried today connecting directly to the test socket with a new microfilter and the stats remain exactly the same which I believe rules out internal issues.

Stats posted below:

BB.PNG

The BT wholesale check says "results inconclusive", but I can't work out how to do the third and final check as the Smart hub won't let me change the username as the site requests.

Any suggestions as to how to progress with this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Speed Drop & Increase in Noise Margin / SNR

it looks like all the drops in connection have resulted in DLM putting your connection in a banded profile to try and get a stable connection  https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Ignore the final check, as its not applicable.

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

The speed drop should correct itself eventually, one the disconnects stop.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
christarry85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

There is definately a background hum on this - not done it before though so not sure if it is more / less than before.

Found a screenshot from perhaps year ago and the noise margin was 4.6 in that, so something must have changed.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

@christarry85 wrote:

There is definately a background hum on this - not done it before though so not sure if it is more / less than before.

Found a screenshot from perhaps year ago and the noise margin was 4.6 in that, so something must have changed.

Hum normally indicates a partial earthed connection, or an unbalanced line.

Provided you only have a single phone socket in the house (no exdtensions), and there are no other junction boxes before that master socket, that may have got damp, then its probably an external fault, water has got in somewhere.

Have you run a line test?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

was quiet line test done with corded phone?  a dull hum is normal when using a cordless phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

All modern cordless phones use a switched mode power supply, not a mains transformer, so there is no hum introduced.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

@Keith_Beddoe

good to know Keith but it depends what you call modern and there is no way of telling what type of phone corded/cordles that any poster actually has

0 Ratings
christarry85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

It was a bog standard corded phone.

The wholesale speedtest won't seem to let me do the second stage diagnostics, it skips straight to the third stage which requires the changed login - perhaps because I have already run it today?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

you should be able to run btspeedtester as often as you want  try a different browser

don't run the 3rd test

0 Ratings