cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Infinityfan
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Speed Dropped Below Minimum Stated On Contract

Currently having problems with speed which has dropped to below what it says on our contract is the minimum we can expect.

Wondering if we cancel would we still incur early cancellation charges as it is below stated minimum on contract?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Speed Dropped Below Minimum Stated On Contract

What speed does it say here?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

Remember to remove your phone number when posting.

If its in range B, then you need to give BT an opportunity to fix it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

you cannot cancel without charge before you have given BT the opportunity to correct the problem assuming it is correctable

if you have a hh5 can you post stats from troubleshooting then helpdesk 1-12

can you run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Infinityfan
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

According to the availability checker it's within (just) FTTC Range B 40.3 - 24.1 it's actually 26.5Mbps at the moment and has been dropping steadily since yesterday evening. Could very probably have been as a result of the thunderstorms around here.

When I called them to report the fault this morning they got me to alter a few settings in the HH4 which have made no difference. They're supposed to be calling back later and told me he may then try to reset the profile which I thought could only be done by calling out an engineer?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Electrical interference cause by thunderstorms would have a detrimental effect on your speed, but this should recover within a couple of weeks if you leave things alone.

Altering the HH4 would make no difference as its the Openreach modem which determines the speed.

0 Ratings
Infinityfan
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

BT phoned us back this afternoon and said he was going to request a line/profile reset at the exchange and said could take up to 24 hours.

I thought these could only be done via an engineers visit?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

An engineer visit to the exchange.

0 Ratings
Infinityfan
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Well I presume so but he just said he would put a request to the local exchange to perform a reset of the line/profile - I assumed (perhaps wrongly that this is carried out by staff at the exchange) It's just the last time we had a similar problem last year an engineer that visited told me only they could carry one out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

The equipment is in the cabinet, not the exchange, and is remote managed.

0 Ratings